SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my 2005 Saab 93 convertible is leaking water when it rains. Also it doesn't really close and latch all the way so every time I stop the message pops up saying close the top all the way before driving. Has anyone had any experience with this?

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
You need to re-align top. You need TECH2 for this.
Leak to where?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It leaks mainly on the passenger side and a little bit on the driver's side as well but not as much as passenger side. Can I buy a tech2 and do this on my own?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have an ‘06. When the top gets old water seeps through the weave and seams. It’s time to replace the top. However, you can prolong its usefulness by coating it with a bottle of 303 fabric guard.

Clean the roof well w/ convertible top cleaner and let dry. Cover the paint in danger of catching runs and overspray, and windshield and side window w/ thin painters tarp. I use two tarps. Lift the roof part way and you can slip one under the roof cover and over the rear windows. Place the other on the passenger windows over the windshield. Close the roof and they lock in. The roof Latch punctures the thin tarp. Tape the two edges of the tarp together. Important: first Mask the rubber around the windows and the rubber tabs extruding from the soft top at the back side windows. The 303 ea Mask the rear window.

After spraying watch wipe off any excess that run behind the tarps if you have reasonable access. Easier than cleaning once it drys. Let dry overnight.

I do this annually. No more leaks.getting ready to fork over the 2k to replace the top though. Sealing is a pain and after 14 years the top isn’t looking crisp any longer.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
How are you latching it now, with the emergency lock/unlock tool? Is the top otherwise closing all the way? If so, a couple of possibilities are:

Locking hooks in top broken or not aligned to windshield frame (see post #2)
Hydraulic cylinder for locking hooks in top not working

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No I didn't know there was one, where is it located? The top is pretty much closing all the way except for like maybe the last inch when it's supposed to lock. What can I do to test which one of those issues it is? I just bought this car from my brother and I bought it like this so I'm not sure what its supposed to look like when it works.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The shop manual for your car is online. The sections on CV top are under Body->Hood system.

Saab WIS online

A good place to start is understanding soft top operation.

EDIT: Unfortunately that site doesn't appear to support the pictures in the manual, or my VPN is interfering. You can also download the WIS; instructions are here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts