SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stumped on this one.

We have had a problem with our 2002 Saab 93 convertible with a very loud squealing noise inside - loud enough to send you to the insane asylum if you hear it for more than 20 minutes. First noticed a year or so ago, occurs at highway speed 60-70MPH. The noise is coming from the front dash / windshield area. We thought it was only when the AC was running, but it does not seem to be limited to that

First thought it might be the cabin air sensor fan (although it does sound higher up in the car). Pulled it out, cleaned and lubed the fan shaft, reinstalled, test drove. Didn't fix the problem. Thinking maybe the fan was just bad, removed it from the connector, same problem. Not the sensor fan.

Then I pulled the panel in the center of the windshield frame with the interior lights and electronics. Test drove. Nope, not that either.

With the panel removed I now had access to the formed metal window frame. When it was making the noise, the metal frame was vibrating. Sticking foam or anything else in there didn't seem to reduce the noise level.

Looking at the window frame and convertible top gasket from the outside its flush as can be. The top is in great shape and the latches seem to hold it down very tight. I lubed the gasket between the frame and the top with no effect. The top does not appear to be flapping in the wind.

This is just weird. Anyone have any ideas?

Bill

·
Registered
18,942 Posts
First, this is not unheard of.

Second, there was a TSB for this with the NG900 'vert. Not sure if it would help you but it was something to do with the top center molding area.

I had this problem after I had a windshield replaced by a glass installer. I talked to them about it, we took a test drive, and the guy said they'd replace the windshield again. I asked him if there was some way he could just seal up the molding, etc instead of replacing it again, but he said no, the molding on the 'vert was integral with the seals and it was best to just replace it. He noted that all it took was a little pin hole in the seal for air to get in there and start whistling.

So... back to you. I'd try to seal the molding to the windshield with a piece of masking tape. Get it sealed tight. Test drive. If it works. Start removing pieces, beginning at the bottom and working your way up. It might require both an inlet and outlet to be unsealed, so some followup testing might be needed. Once you locate the area, you can look for defects.

The other choice is to have the windshield replaced. That's got the benefit of a nice new windshield with no pits in it, but the downside is $400 to $500 in cost.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that info, unbelievably useful! Plus, good to know I am not crazy and that its been heard of before. I'll start with some tape and see what I can find.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First, this is not unheard of.

Second, there was a TSB for this with the NG900 'vert. Not sure if it would help you but it was something to do with the top center molding area.

Does anyone have a link to the TSB or the information from the TSB that BobSaabit refers to?

...Bill

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bump... Trying agian. Anyone have the specifics on the TSB for the Convertible Windsheild frame squealing?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The TSB is # 841-15773 but the only place I could find it listed is at the paid sites like alldatadiy.com - you'd have to subscribe. You might get a dealer to fetch it for you.

I did find this: http://www.saablink.net/forum/car-problems-ng900-old-9-3-only/55574.htm

Tried posting this earlier, but seems like it was awaiting moderator approval, maybe because I used a link and have not had enough posts yet.

Bob...Thanks for the info. I did call a dealer and they told me they could no longer get at the TSBs until Saab and Saab USA get things resolved. DOn't know how much truth there is to that.

However, if you google Townsend Imports in Greensboro NC and follow their links they have many of the TSBs posted. The 841-1577ed3 is one of them. It calls out double sided tape to be used, Saab part number 74 97 357. I called my local dealer back and they can order that part, its in stock for $21.45

Its on order...hoping it will resolve the problem rather than me having to replace the whole windshield/gasket. (I had not found anyone that would do just the gasket)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bob...

I found the TSB....waiting for the moderator to approve my post because it had a link. There are many Saab TSBs on that web site

If anyone needs it google "townsend imports greensboro" and select Enter and follow the links

Bill

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, the actual TSB is there along with many others. A VERY useful website. Not sure why the moderators have not approved my post with the link, but here are the instructions.

1. Go to the Townsend Imports website
2. Follow the link that says "Enter"
3. Select the "Saab Technical Service Bulletins"
4. Its about the 21st one on the list. its 84-1577ed2, but when you open it its ed3.

Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts