SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Saab Folks!
Im new to the saab community here. Bought 2 9-3's couple of months ago, 1 2010 fwd 2.0t and the other 2009 xwd 2.0t. Unfortunately the 09's engine shakes when cold start in the colder weather. When diagnosed i got cyl. 4 misfire...my assumptions is that it may need a head job due to soft valves. After warmup the car runs perfect. My options are that I have 2011 b207r engine to buy pending in a salvage yard for $500 for a swap. Is it possible being that I have an 09? The other option is to do a head job. The car has 86k by the way. Just want to get some input here before I take any actions. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try that tomorrow to really confirm...fingers crossed! Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So my nightmare is reality...
Cold Compression Test Results

Cyl.1 Dry: 135psi Wet 150psi
Cyl,2 Dry: 135psi Wet 150psi
Cyl.3 Dry: 135psi Wet 150psi
Cyl.4 Dry 40psi Wet 55psi
Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
20,205 Posts
It's the intake valve.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now my other concern is...would a 2011 engine be fitted in a 2009? The 2010 engine has 42k, mine has 86k. Or is it better to a head job?

·
Super Moderator
20,205 Posts
Begs the question. You doing it yourself? A head refresh is probably easier. Most likely not a difficult swap but the no-brainer/I know I won't have any issues with compatibility is to redo the head. DIY would be less than $500.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I plan to do the head job myself...with courage to do so, which also means finding a machine shop in the southern CT area.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah, I plan to do the head job myself...with courage to do so, which also means finding a machine shop in the southern CT area.
I had good luck having my 2001 9-3 cylinder head refreshed at Valley Automotive Machine Shop in Seymour Ct last year. He's a one man show, but was easy to work with.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What would be an estimate cost?
I stripped everything off the head but the valves myself.
I had the shop remove the valves, clean the head , reface the intake valves, dress the intake and exhaust valve seats, resurface the head gasket sealing surface, remove a broken exhaust stud, and assemble the valves using new stem seals that I provided. The exhaust valves should not be refaced on the B205 engine, so they were just cleaned to remove carbon deposits and reused .
I don't have the receipt any more, but I think it was about $145 (a year ago).
I think the time required to do your B207 head would be about the same, but you will need to supply 8 new upgraded intake valves as well as stem seals.
You will need to buy/rent/borrow the camshaft timing tools to do the job.
You might also want to do some research on the the timing chain guides and determine whether you want to tackle that at the same time, but it's a significant amount of additional work if you do.

Good Luck !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts