SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the Simota air intake for a Saab 9-3. I have an 2006 just wondering your thoughts?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Anyone have the Simota air intake for a Saab 9-3. I have an 2006 just wondering your thoughts?
Simota is a sweet intake, My preference is a BSR OptiFlow. Read alot on here and other forums about different intakes (styles and performance) it seems alot of Saab owners have issues with CELs and even the car going into limp mode. Not one issue with the Optiflow. Do some research on CAIs, theres a DIY in the 'How To' thread if you dont wanna spend a bunch of dough.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It definitely has a bit more throttle response. Im certainly not disappointed in it. sounds and looks good too but, most of that is it. these cars are pretty quick to pick up any mod and adjust for them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice...when I was looking at the bsr they mentioned something with the intake having SAI and without SAI. What small hose are they talking about?

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you have a 2003 model SS, you have an SAI (little tube on the front of your airbox). If you have a 2004 or later, you don't have SAI.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the Simota Aeroform II intake on my '03 9-3 (w/ SAI) and cannot live without it. I originally got it for my girlfriend's '05 9-3 but when I got my car I pulled it off hers and put it on mine the same day. ;)

It has not caused the P0101 DTC on either car.

Here are before and after pictures of the install on her car (please excuse the dirtiness):

·
Registered
220 Posts
i was on simota's website, and they have a new one for the 9-3ss. kinda looks like the bsr. anyone try that one?

·
Registered
97 Posts
which one do you guys think is better Simota or BSR?
BSR is proven performance for Saabs. It's as close as you can get to a true CAI. Simota is a great intake but, it's more likely to draw more heated air from the engine compartment. You'll definitely notice it in the weeks to come as the temps rise(hopefully sooner than later;ol;) Do what you really wanna do, it's all about the style and sound. Just my opinion...:cool:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Or you can make your own...........

And that little filter guy is the SAI

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
so glowing, i played your clip and it scared the sh*t outta my cat...thanks! was quite funny :D
oh, and that does sound good.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Matt would making your own be effective? what kind of hardware do you need to buy? idk if i trust myself haha

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Matt would making your own be effective? what kind of hardware do you need to buy? idk if i trust myself haha

Making your own is more effective because you save some of that hard earned cash! There is a thread about making one. If I find it quickly Ill edit this post with the link

EDIT: FOUND IT DIY Intake

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have this Simota too:

I'll say, sound is really nice (more like a BOV), but for hot weather like the zone I'm in (Hong Kong),the turbo cannot get enough cold air for boosting. (yes, Intercooler is not enough for cooling). I have to DIY a tubing to charge air directly into the filter.

·
Registered
356 Posts
BSR is proven performance for Saabs. It's as close as you can get to a true CAI. Simota is a great intake but, it's more likely to draw more heated air from the engine compartment. You'll definitely notice it in the weeks to come as the temps rise(hopefully sooner than later;ol;) Do what you really wanna do, it's all about the style and sound. Just my opinion...:cool:
Agree, I have made a heat shield and the tubing to let the air filter keeping cool.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Making your own is more effective because you save some of that hard earned cash! There is a thread about making one. If I find it quickly Ill edit this post with the link

EDIT: FOUND IT DIY Intake

I had some help making mine but I agree. Mine cost half the price.

On a side note. For those that have your coil cover painted. Did you guys just used regular heat paint. BC I was told that you can't paint it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts