SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I have a 9-3 Aero 2.0T ('00) and after 9 years of happy motoring the ABS light came on. I realise this is a known problem but here's the catch with mine:

The light is not always on.. when it is I have no ABS, no TCS and the turbo does not kick in. When the light comes off occasionally, the turbo works fine.

I've been to the local stealers (erm.. dealers) here in Athens, Greece where they hooked it up to their software and it indicates ABS control module - they ask €2800 for repair which I find obscene!

Is anyone experiencing the same problems? Will a repaired ABS module do the trick?

Many thanks!

Nikos

·
Registered
321 Posts
If the dealer has identified the culprit as the ABS module, get in touch with bba-reman.com here in the US and see if they will work with you overseas. I have heard they are MUCH more affordable.

Terry

·
Registered
131 Posts
im not sure if it applies to you (I have an 01 93 SE) my ABS/TCS lights come on along with the break but my Speedo also stops registering.

Ive read if your speedo stop registering when those lights come on its the speed sensors (hopefully the front)

If it still registers the speed then its the ABS module.

----
It like looking at a xmas tree when you drive and that comes on... always fun in the dark when you got 4 lights blinding you lol

If it is throwing an check engine light, post it you may be able to get somone with your model to post testing instructions (my 01 might even be the same code if you have one ( im P1625, no bus com from ABS/TCS)

-------------

And also hehe.. more info

It sounds like the no turbo.. it has jumped into limp home mode..

mine will do that some times with the lights. (some times i get no boost, other times after it resets and goes off again, i still give plenty of boost)

I hope this helps as us band of brothers must help each other now our beloved saabs no longer have a company behind it, though GM wasnt really the best to begin with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
additional abs symptoms

Mine was just diagnosed as abs module failure but has all the same symptoms plus one - when you come to a full stop [not every time] with foot on brake pedal, the car idle shudders and gets really ragged and rough and you think the engine is about to die. Then, soon as you move your foot to the accelerator, the engine smoothes right out and runs perfectly.

Anyone else ever get that?

I plan to get the module rebuilt but wonder what else because no one else has spoken of this problem and the techs seem mystified, said you can only fix the module and then, perhaps, discover what causes this symptom, they feel the two are not related.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Ummm, have you tried fuses? Look in your manual for fuses related to the ABS system...these might be blown or corroded and consequently the ECU reads a fault and sends up the ABS light and puts the car in limp home mode.
-Cm

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine was just diagnosed as abs module failure but has all the same symptoms plus one - when you come to a full stop [not every time] with foot on brake pedal, the car idle shudders and gets really ragged and rough and you think the engine is about to die. Then, soon as you move your foot to the accelerator, the engine smoothes right out and runs perfectly.

Anyone else ever get that?

I plan to get the module rebuilt but wonder what else because no one else has spoken of this problem and the techs seem mystified, said you can only fix the module and then, perhaps, discover what causes this symptom, they feel the two are not related.
Mine is doing the same thing, Rough idle at stop if it doesnt show the lights at start. I also noticed the lights only are on when it is warm outside or the engine is warm. If it is freesing cold I can go for about 10miles before the light comes on.

I was fixing to skip the 95 dollar diagnostic and get 2 brand new wheel sensors for the front as my speedo goes out when the lights come on but with you stating it is the ABS on yours im tempted to go get the diagnostic first then go from there.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
However expensive, I think the diagnosis is worth it.
But $95 is excessive.
My dealer charged 0.5 ($47) and you should see their facility.
A shame as this seems to be closed now...
Do chase away corrosion and poor connections.
Have you priced the ABS sensors?
I wonder how our man from Greece made out?

·
Registered
5 Posts
strange neutral/drive shuddering

When thie 9-3 is stopped or slowing to stop, but running and in drive, the car shudders like mad and feels like it will die but if you put it in neutral, the engine smooths out and runs normally.

How can this be related to the ABS Module cuz that's what the diagnostic read - doesn't seem to make sense to me but does it make sense to anyone else?

·
Registered
649 Posts
When thie 9-3 is stopped or slowing to stop, but running and in drive, the car shudders like mad and feels like it will die but if you put it in neutral, the engine smooths out and runs normally.

How can this be related to the ABS Module cuz that's what the diagnostic read - doesn't seem to make sense to me but does it make sense to anyone else?
I get that also. Not sure how that makes sense in relation to the ABS computer, but most people here are certain that it's the ABS computer on my car. Does yours throw a p1625 code and a CEL also?

·
Registered
5 Posts
did you ever get this fixed? I have it now and wonder about the strange way the engine doesn't go into neutral when you stop.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts

Is your car a T7, if so it might be in limp mode via the TB?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts