SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear All,

This weekend I upgraded to a 2003 9-3 SAAB convertible using the insurance money I got after my favorite 900S got crashed on the freeway.

The new car`s CEL is constantly on, hence the low price. Otherwise it runs good. I ordered an OBD 2 scanner on amazon to find out why the CEL is on, it`ll arrive tomorrow. In the meantime, I checked the vacuum hoses, they all look fine. I`ve read here and there that the gas cap may be a culprit when the CEL is on, so I took a look at it and found this:

The O-ring in the gas gap looks ok, but the filling tube looks broken inside. It is also different from the 900S, which has a valve here that the nozzle opens when I pump gas. Can this be related to the CEL issue? What is it supposed to be like? Thanks for any inut!

Attachments

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I don't think those broken fingers would have any affect on sealing the gas tank. The sealing all takes place at the very top of the pipe. I think the fingers are just there to stop backsplash when overfilling.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I don`t think so either. Unless the tube itself is broken too. But then I would smell gas. How does the engine management detects vapor leak by the way? It detects a drop in pressure in the tank or there are sensors around the gas cap?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hooked up the tester and the error code that triggers the CEL is P0743, Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Electrical. Another code that came up was P0705, Transmission Range Sensor A Circuit (PRNDL input). I erased both, CEL disappeared, but it came back in the next cycle and didn`t go away when I turned the engine on. P0705 disappeared, P0743 is still there. Transmission seems flawless for me, although I`m not an expert as I had stick shift cars so far. Thoughts? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Well, we know your gas cap is OK then :). Some of the auto tranny guys will need to step in. If no one shows up with the title you have, start a new thread on those codes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The p0743 will require you to replace the tcc solenoid in the trans. It is a bit of a b*stard and will likely require you to open the a.c. system to do it.

I had to pull the front end, radiator, and some a.c. lines in order to get the cover off the trans.

Unless you are set on genuine saab parts, I suggest getting the tcc solenoid for Volvo with aw 50-40le or 50-42le. They will be about $30-50 as opposed to $200-300 for G.S. part.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
You shouldn't need to break the AC system or drop the subframe to open the front cover on the transmission. You just need to remove the downpipe, support the transmission with a jack, remove the left mount, then remove the cover. IIIRC it's helpful if you can remove the front bolt on the subframe and space it down with a big socket or piece of wood. There are some photos of what that looks like here:

It's important to clean the area first as any debris that gets in there could be catastrophic. You also need to use sealant on the cover NOT the gasket that Volvo uses as the gasket is not for applications where the front cover is the mount point.

Since the error codes are both for range sensor and TCC solenoid, I would make sure to inspect the two big connectors by the battery - be sure they are clean and dry and none of the wiring there is damaged. It's all very fine - a little trauma is enough to disrupt function. On the car referenced in the above thread, I had a temperature sensor code that turned out to be a single damaged wire near the connector, maybe pinched when someone carelessly chucked a battery in or something.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. At this point I`m not sure if the solenoid is gone, so I`ll check first the resistance at the ECU, I found a good thread about that in the forum. If turns out it`s bad, I`ll just drop the subframe and replace it over the weekend. I wanted to get the sump off anyways just to look at the bearings and if there`s any sludge accumulation there. (In my NG900 the main bearings just died conpletely once without notice).

If I understand correctly, the fault code is due to the different speed signal coming from the trans and the engine in 3rd and 4th gear. What I don`t get, why is it that the error comes back after erasing it even though I don`t drive the car. This solenoid should lock the shafts only when I accelerate to 3rd gear, shouldn`t it?

·
Registered
121 Posts
The solenoid is likely faulty. It will throw the code based on its ohm, so if it stuck open it doesnt read the same.
While it shifts fine you are probably not getting lockup for cruising. The only thing that hurts is your fuel mileage.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That makes sense. I`ll check the cables too as jvanabra suggested, as the car has a new battery. The PO said they replaced some sensor because it didn`t pass smog, and then they ended up buying a new car instead. So they may have made some mistake during the process, like pinching some wire or something. I`ll look into it soon.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These solenoids are actually quite cheap, so I though I might as well buy it even if I end up not using it:

Looks like this is the one, however, the description says they might come with a brown connector and that`s different from this. How can I find out if this fits mine? Mine is a 2003, so based on the year it should be ok?

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
You would need to remove the cover to see what's there right now. It's the only way to know.

But, what you're looking at is a Shift solenoid (of which there are two, A and B), and I thought your error was for the TCC solenoid. They are not the same part.

Have you checked the wiring and run the diagnostics on the solenoid? They almost never fail, especially by '03. I would be sure you've done the diagnostics before undertaking replacement and finding out you've wasted $80 and two hours of your life.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I`ll do the diagnostics once I have time to remove the glove box, I just thought I`d buy it anyways if it`s so cheap, but if it`s $80, I`ll check the wiring first definitely. Maybe today I`ll get home in daylight and I can look into it. I`ll keep you posted!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Probably this is it then:

Btw, just theoretically, if I wanted to convert this car to a stick shift, apart from the trans, clutch, pedal console, shifter, flywheel, instrument panel, ECU, woukd I need anything else? Harness? Subframe? Shafts too? Has anyone done this before?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts