·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Hope some of you may be able to help out with the following:

Saab 9-3 Diesel 2.2 TiD Coupe
2000/1 'X' Plate: 5spd - 135k

I've recently 'lost' top/5th gear, yet all other gears are perfect. No hint of it degrading other than popping out of top gear a few times down the motorway (however, taking out of 5th has often been a bit sticky in the past).

Currently goes into 5th gear OK, but jumps-out and back into neutral as soon as any acceleration is applied (won't stay in 5th even if forced or held there as makes a 'grinding' noise).

I have done a bit of looking about on-line, and it does appear to be a fairly well known issue, but there's not a lot about getting it fixed!

With regards to a resolution, I appreciate I could get a recon / 2nd hand box, but I was wondering if there is anything that can be done to repair/replace the 5th gear internals? Apparently, they are 'accessible' on these particular trannies?

If so, what parts would be required, is it something me and a few of my mechanic friends/family could have a go at, or would it be simpler/cheaper to lookout for a replacement box (50-150)?

Many thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
398 Posts
You could always try checking to see if the linkage needs adjusted. I know my Saab has the older style, but it started to pop out of 5th when it wasn't adjusted correctly. Easy to do/check, worth the 15minutes, if that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replies..

Shifter/linkage alignment has been checked and not a lot seemed wrong with it, but it's difficult to tell as I asume it needs just very small movements/adjustments? As far as slotting it into or out of 5th gear, it's seamless and very smooth (until acceleration is applied).

Oil was replaced/topped up with some decent stuff.

Engine mounts, they haven't been checked. What exactly would we be looking for - come loose or worn?

The noise of the grinding when held in gear is pretty bad and the vibration/force of it popping out under acceleration is immense, does that give an indication of gear/hub wear, or would it be like that anyway if something was misaligned?

Cheers, Greg

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
Have some rev the engine and see if it moves a lot (rocks towards the back of the car), you could always try a large pry bar too. The center mount is the one that controls the rocking/twisting motion, it can fail and start to separate, you may be able to notice leaking fluid from it, since the rotation of the engine is then not well controlled it can stress the shift linkage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts