SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the total says I dropped my tank and changed my fuel level sensor. Plugged everything back in, filled the tank with about 2-3 gallons out of a fuel can. Reconnected the battery. Tried to start it and nothing.

I can hear the fuel pump running and trying to prime every minute or so. I hear the started relay fire. I do not hear the started turn the engine over. When I put the key in the tach does move slightly. The SID displays a "refill fuel now" message. Cycling through the SID messages I only get my usual other message about my side marker light being out. The OBD2 reader shows no codes. The fuel gauge is at the bottom.

So what are yalls thoughts? Did I install the fuel level sensor wrong and the computer is stopping the starter from spinning?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
So no crank ?
That has nothing to do with the fuel pump..
Was the car sitting for long time, and did u charge up the battery ???

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok yeah I guess I'm diagnosing a no crank condition here.

I had the car up on stands for about a month as I fixed both driver side window regulators, the rear bank of ignition coils on the V6 block. And the fuel pump. The whole time I did the work I had both battery terminals disconnected to avoid having the battery drain itself to death.

I guess the root problem may have come from the ignition coil and spark plug work, or from the battery disconnect for so long.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh when changing the rear bank ignition coils and spark plugs I did have to remove the ECU. I took good care when removing and handling it. I see this as a potential failure point as well.
Oh and i checked the battery voltage and it was a healthy 12.58V

My questions is, what are some troubleshooting/diagnostics I can run through to better determine the root cause of my issue?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
First make sure that both ground wires are back attached to the ECU, both connectors all the way in and secured ..
And just to rule out starter issues, do u know how to jump the starter relay ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can check the ground wires real quick now. Will report back shortly if that does anything. This things sure were a pain.

I have jumped a started before, but it was years ago. A quick explanation to make sure I'm doing ti right would be appreciated.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok yep. The ecu ground wires are both secured well.

I just got some more gas. The gauge reads half a tank which is about how much I put in it.

I also noticed that the clicking I'm hearing which I previously called the starter relay probably isnt. I hear that click three or four times whenever I move the key from the off to the on position. Not to the ignition position. This is also when i hear the whirr of the fuel pump trying to prime the system.

When I move from the on position to the start position I do not hear a clicking.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Are u sure ur battery is good, take a voltage measurement right after u turn the ignition ON.
Im worried now that u r hearing the brake pump not the fuel pump as well (but that should not prevent it from cranking)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha. Ok yeah. I think your right about the whirring being a brake pump. It was definitely a noise coming from the engine bay. I didnt notice previous cause I was always in the driver seat when hearing it.

The voltage when the key was at the ON position was 12.15V so also pretty happy and healthy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. Just confirming so I dont mess it up. Your wanting me to put the key in the ON position then with a spare wire, bridge pin 30 to pin 87.

Results I should expect are the starter motor turning over and potentially even the full engine starting up.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Yes 100% .. i didnt want to say the pin numbers cause people get confused with the relay out, thats why make sure u r jumping the big ends not the smaller ones

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Between 87 and battery ground I didnt get any continuity. Let alone resistence.
I then checked against pin 30 and there I did see continuity.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
get down at ur startor, i know its pain in the *** to reach, make sure u have good ground at the ground post, and measure resistance between SOLENOID positive post and pin 87 of the relay

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you have a good image of where there stater is in this vehicle?

Looks like you've got some good pictures from the WIS. I was thinking of pulling it from that one thread and setting it up on my computer.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
front lower part of the engine, not so easy to reach.
and let me say that maybe clearer (measure resistance between pin87 and starter solenoid smaller post)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts