SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy, great Forum yall hv here - I hv lots of cars & lotsa mechanical experience but totally ignorant on Saab's - Looking at a clean well kept version of above Black w/ Black Int Leather in excellent shape & exterior straight & shiny.

Plusses - Drives, Brakes & Shifts great, handles very well, quiet, no Rust - Idles smooth & runs very smooth peppy but not scary fast by any means.

Minuses - CEL, Gas Gauge stuck on empty, Boost only goes to halfway (so straight up) but maybe that's normal is this is the lesser HP Turbo model___?

What do yall think of Price_____?

- What is the most typical "crisis" seen with this model at 104K miles_____& what kinda $$ should I plan on post purchase_____?

THANX in advance~!

·
Super Moderator
18,995 Posts
It needs a fuel level sender and probably a new ecu. Find private party value and drop $1,500. Then find someone who can replace a Saab ECU locally. Actually, do that first. Or do it yourself by buying a tech2 (more $$$) or a $30 cable off amazon and searching youtube on how to clone an ECU.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx~! - So is ECU why it only goes to Midway up Boost Gauge or is that normal for the Mid Boost Motor ___?

So ECU is a common upcoming crisis & they are about $1500... correct____?

·
Super Moderator
18,995 Posts
Not normal, it should go right to the red. Not uncommon on these cars unfortunately. They sit on a hot engine and over years a lot of heat cycles will make anything with a circuit board go bad.

. A mechanic will charge you $500 for the fuel sender and a grand for the ECU likely.

·
Registered
8,260 Posts
The fuel sender/ pump is an annoying fix. I have noticed on mine ( owned for a very short time) that when the Fuel gauge goes wonky, the turbo gauge does as well. (maybe because they are on the same circuit on the dash. I would do one thing at a time and leave the ECU alone unless you see other issues. Hook up a real boost gauge and see if the boost control is ok regardless of the in car gauge ( it is an electronic gauge controlled by the ECU, that's why Diggs suspects that). Cheap and easy way to check.

1. You can do the fuel level sender separate from the pump (and save about 200 bucks but if the pump ever goes you will need to drop the tank again. Doing it yourself requires just time.
2. wait on the ECU, see if fixing the sender/pump helps.
3. what;s the code on the CEL?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More great info - I will report on specific Code number - Dealer said it was a couple sensors & ran a lot better since fix - So the ECU is in the Engine Bay ??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah the ECU is in the Engine bay under the engine cover. It's much easier to just get clone the ECU. You can get any ECU from 2004-2011 if it's from a 2.0 motor and clone it. Think 2003 are more prone to failure and the covertable ECU isn't compatible if I remember so just avoid it. Used ECUs can also be bad which is what happened to me recently. The cable is $30ish on Amazon to clone and the software is free and easy to use. There is even a YouTube video on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts