SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 115bhp 9-3 tids.

Having never owned a turbo diesel before I am unsure whether or not it is operating correctly.

I don't particularly feel the turbo kick in - is this correct.

Does it operate at a certain rev. range or is it always assisting.

Driving at around the 80mph mark for most of my journeys (although trip meter says 33mph average) I am getting approx 40mpg - is this correct?
It's just that I have seen figures of 60mpg quoted for extra urban.

When driving up hills on dual carriageway, the car does not want to go above 85mph. Is this also right?

Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I do not know much about your car, so I cannot say too much. As far as the turbo, I would imagine that it is a very small amount of boost since you are only outputting 115. With that small amount of boost I doubt you will feel a "kick".

Driving at 80MPH with a 115HP engine, 40 seems about right. The 60mpg is probably calculated off going 55mph or something like that. The faster you go the more drag, and the more fuel required to maintain that speed.

As far as going up a decent grade at 85mph, I cannot imagine doing much better in a car that size with an engine that small. But I am not very firmiliar with the car, those are just my general impressions.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My TiD (115) is not the fastest machine on the road. There is a boost when the turbo comes in but not a kick.

From time to time the MAF, and the MAP need cleaning out, and the vacuum hoses need checking (I was recently shown how to do this on another saab forum, link below) and this should make a noticable difference to performance and economy.

My MPG is about 31 (but my average city speed is only 13 mph). On the motorway I get about 55mpg.
http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2741

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
sadders said:
Mt TiD (115) is not the fastest machine on the road. There is a boost when the turbo comes in but not a kick...
In my opinion, there is not much of a "kick" on a 2.0-liter regular fuel turbo. The turbo comes on gradually, and the boost in the first two gears is intentionally limited. There is a turbo-lag, this is practically a design feature with Saabs, and unless they are modified, they are not fast off the line (no complaint, just a comment, the car is fast enough for me). I would expect it to be the same with a Saab turbo diesel, unfortunately they are not imported to the US, so we really have no way to compare... (grumble)

I would really like to read a comparison between the Saab diesels and other diesel cars, if anyone from the UK would care to post a link... :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The saga goes on '99 9-3 tids (115)

Thanks to Sadders for the photos.

My MAP sensor location was slightly different to the one in the piccies (I hope!!!). It had lots of crusty gunk on it. Is it a pressure transducer?

It was shaped like a valve and has a hollow inner running along the length of it. Do I need to clean this out?

Anyway I cleaned it (but not the inner) and also wiped the air mass meter. The car seems modestly more lively in lower gears but still lacks power going uphill in 4th or 5th.

Any further ideas out there?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
An excellent site that Sadders has mentioned :

My MPG is about 31 (but my average city speed is only 13 mph). On the motorway I get about 55mpg.
http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2741

Remember : this is based on the imperial gallon, is it not ??

The newer Diesel engine have different service requirements, cleaning of MAPs and MAFs for one.
This must be on a service schedule - maybe every 30K miles.
VW, the leader in affordable Diesels, has similar problems

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and on....

Hi,

How do I access the wastegate to see if there is an issue?

Which pipes should I be looking for??

·
Registered
124 Posts
9993tids said:
Hi,

How do I access the wastegate to see if there is an issue?

Which pipes should I be looking for??
I would also like to know this so I am bumping the thread.

By the way, what is a wastegate?

·
Registered
355 Posts

This is the wastegate, the flappy trap door bit. It opens up at a certain rpm to divert the exhaust gasses past the vains, to limit boost pressure. The diesel engine is different to petrol in that the waste gate is held closed by the vacuum pump, then vacuum cut at high revs to open gate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts