SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best way to go about having a spare key made in the US for my 9-3 / 2005 ARC please ?
Newbie Saaber, did browse but didn't find much. My apologies is that has already been posted 647800 billion times.

Going thru a dealer costs an arm and a leg, I wanted to know if there is a better route before I do so.

Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
154 Posts
What would be the best way to go about having a spare key made in the US for my 9-3 / 2005 ARC please ?
Newbie Saaber, did browse but didn't find much. My apologies is that has already been posted 647800 billion times.

Going thru a dealer costs an arm and a leg, I wanted to know if there is a better route before I do so.

Thanks in advance !
I found a key key on ebay for $12.97 and a new fob (from England) for $95 shipped. The dealers in the US don't know when they'll have them in.

·
Registered
302 Posts
key's

Used keys cannot be reprogrammed to car.
You will have to buy a new one or ---http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAAB-9-3-Precoded-Transponder-Chip-Virginise-used-Remote-Keys-PCF7946-/200753346027?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ebdd4f5eb
You can get new chips to solder onto a used key and then get them programmed by saab to the car. (easy job)
I have done this, it's not too hard just need fine soldering iron and magnifying glass to check for shorts.
Use liquid flux or even plumbers flux to stop the solder jumping accross leg's.
Flux must be washed off in warm water after and circuit allowed to dry before use. Drying is very important as water sits under chips so it looks dry but will short when used. Hair dryer and time in a warm place (24hrs) is best.

If your remote breaks it will still start the car as battery is only needed to open car not start it, use key (sets off alarm) insert remote as usual.
Buttons are normally the cause and can be replaced cheeply, ebay etc.

Get a spare before you loose your remote as it will be very costly

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was quoted around $300 for a new one with the remote does that sound high or is that just what they are ?
Does that include the blade?

Supposedly, the blade can be had for ~$15, the transponder for ~$80, then programming at your dealer / cutting the blade maybe an hr's worth of shop time? You'll likely come out $100 cheaper than going your route.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Has anyone had any luck getting the key programmed at a non-saab dealer, i.e. a Chevy dealer? In my case there isn't a Saab dealer anymore for 300 miles.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Has anyone had any luck getting the key programmed at a non-saab dealer, i.e. a Chevy dealer? In my case there isn't a Saab dealer anymore for 300 miles.
You'll need someone with a Tech II. No way around that as far as I know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts