SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm looking into purchasing one of these vehicles and I have a couple questions about the differences between the two outside the obvious cosmetics (of which I greatly prefer the cleaner looking Saab). I've driven a WRX and the clutch has a very soft feel and short travel compared to the 98 BMW I currently drive. Can I expect the same in a 9-2X? Also, I felt the road feel was a little muted in the WRX, not soft so much as dampened maybe. From reading around it seems the Saab has a softer feeling suspension so should I expect an even more muted feel or does the STI steering in the Saab help make it better? If there was one thing I didn't like about the Subaru this was it. The light feeling clutch was second. Also, if you guys don't mind, can you guestimate what insurance for the Saab would be for a 30 yr old driver with a flawless driving record. USAA quoted me about $600/6 months for a WRX wagon. Sorry if some of this has been covered previously. Oh, and if you're wondering why I didn't just drive an Aero it's because the dealer had no manuals. :( Thanks!

·
Banned
637 Posts
My sister has a Subaru Dealership.. she also had a Saab dealership but sold it off as she found it was a dying enterprise.
Why on Earth would one Buy a Subaru with a Saab Badge.. Slightly nicer interior?? Granted the Subie one IS kinda Lame..
But The Subaru has a PROVEN reliability record and last time I looked the Subaru Dealership was Lots Cheaper to deal with.
Don't forget that Subie Refused to allow the the STI to be rebadged.. it remains a Subaru ONLY.... BIG difference in Performance there :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Drivetrain: Same, including clutch, trans, diff's, engine, turbo, and everything else.
Suspension: Retuned spring and shock rates (stiffer springs, softer shocks), 10mm shorter rear bump stops, stiffer front control arm bushings, as well as changed 1.8 degree's of toe-in for a more high speed stability and better turn in
Steering Rack: Sti 15.1:1 ratio steering rack
Exterior: Only remaining Subaru WRX wagon exterior parts are doors, rear quarter panels, and roof pan
Interior: 6 CD in-dash, slightly revised gauge cluster, new seats, majority of interior revamped (exact number of changes innumerable, can be counted but so much is changed not even worth it).
Sound deadening and other related changes include: revised rear engine mount, upgraded carpet, improved insulation in toe board, fenders, and shift boot

That is the list of the main changes to the car. Here is the link Car and Driver's review which also sites these changes.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=8196&page_number=1

·
Registered
73 Posts
Basre said:
My sister has a Subaru Dealership.. she also had a Saab dealership but sold it off as she found it was a dying enterprise.
Why on Earth would one Buy a Subaru with a Saab Badge.. Slightly nicer interior?? Granted the Subie one IS kinda Lame..
But The Subaru has a PROVEN reliability record and last time I looked the Subaru Dealership was Lots Cheaper to deal with.
Don't forget that Subie Refused to allow the the STI to be rebadged.. it remains a Subaru ONLY.... BIG difference in Performance there :)
To answer your question as to why I bought a 9-2X Aero
A: Being 18 insurance on a WRX is actually for me $300+ more every six months over the 9-2X Aero.
B: I bought the car with the large incentive so I got the car out the door for 23,385 in MI (6% sales tax) with a new plate so I really could not resist.
C: I know a substantial amount about the WRX and was planning to purchase one but the Saab I know will offer the same long time durability on all the things that the WRX lacks, such as interior quality and rattles and the god awful Subaru quality paint.
D: I plan to modify the car later on and all I have to say is I cannot WAIT to smoke a guy in a Corvette with a Saab Wagon :cheesy:
E: As far as allowing rebadge I don't know where on earth you heard that. When a company holds a large control in your financial enterprises (although only 20% as of now for Fuji Heavy Industries) you really don't have much say in what does and what does not get re-badged. BESIDES the obvious fact that a base car sold is a base car sold, and EVERY company is open to new profits, whether or not the car is a "rebadge."
F: I will own one car through undergraduate, grad school, and getting out into the world, I would rather spend a little more now and get a car that I know will last in EVERY aspect down the road when I need it to.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Basre said:
Why on Earth would one Buy a Subaru with a Saab Badge.
SAAB took a car I was interested in buying, and made it a lot nicer. These are just my opinions though.

No roof rails (I was going to remove them if I got a WRX).
Better front and rear end styling. I really don't like the looks of the 04 and up WRX wagons. I would have bought an 02-03 WRX if it weren't for the 92-X.
Better looking wheels.
Better soundproofing.
It doesn't have a Subaru badge. Where I live, I see countless Subbies on the road. I have yet to see another 92-X. But, it's a Subaru, which it awesome when it comes time to have work done on it. It's like I get a rare car without the hassle of fixing a rare car.
2 years paid maint, and longer bumper to bumper warrenty.
Proven Subaru reliability. I would have never even considered a "real" SAAB. I'm sold on Japanese reliability.
Cheaper insurance compared to a WRX.

I got all of this cheaper than I could have bought a "real" WRX for.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Basre said:
Thanks for you input.

:roll:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Basre said:
we get one of you a month...thank you for informing us that our car has subaru parts, frankly I had no idea.

A

·
0 Posts
Basre said:
Thanks for stating what we already know. It's people like you who keep putting a damper on 9-2x sales and will eventually kill the 9-7x. Don't you want Saab to survive? Great, now I'm saying what everyone else on this forum is saying. Damnit!

·
Registered
248 Posts
The Differences - Borrowed from another thread:

Saab unique front exterior styling
new aluminum hood with redesigned hood scoop on Aero
new front fenders
new front grille and bumper cover
new headlamps, marker lights and projector driving lights

Saab unique side and rear exterior styling
new tailgate and rear bumper cover
new rear roof spoiler
new rear taillamps
17" alloy wheels standard (in Canada) on Aero
Saab specific Bridgestone tires

Saab unique Chassis
Steering: improved on-center feel/feedback as well as better response & linearity

**(I hear it's the STI Rack???)

Handling: improved overall stability, particularly emergency handling fully laden
Ride: revised shock tuning for a more controlled ride. Less low speed rebound & compression
new dampers
new suspension bushings - stiffer anti-roll bar bushings
100% stiffening of the front sub-frame where the steering rack mounts
unique lower steering gear ratio of 15:1 vs. previous 16.5:1
aluminum rear suspension forward lateral link
10mm shorter rear bump stops

Saab unique interior materials
upgraded carpeting
two-tone cloth seat materials
availability of leather interior
instrument cluster with metallic trim rings around the gauges
upgraded door panel materials
metallic centre stack dash fascia

Saab unique insulation kit
dramatically reduces noise, vibration and harshness
heavier toe-board insulation and addition of fender insulation
rear quarter trim sealing, tailgate sealing
acoustic treatment on roof trim
insulation under the shift boot
new rear engine mount

Saab unique active head restraints for the front seats

Security System (n/a Impreza models)
Block Heater (n/a Impreza models)

Leather interior optional on Linear & Aero (n/a Impreza models)
Sunroof optional on Linear (n/a on Impreza Outback Sport)
6 Disc In-dash CD Changer optional on Linear (n/a on Impreza Outback Sport)

Heated Front Seats & Outer Mirrors optional on Linear (standard on Impreza Outback Sport)

Warranty: 48 month/ 80,000 km (Impreza models 36 month/60,000 km)
Saab value advantage approx. $1,000

Freight & PDI: Saab $1050 (Impreza $400 Freight + $795 PDI=$1195 total)

I call it a bargain

·
Registered
161 Posts
Duckman, that looks familiar (I won't sue you for plagerism ;) but I will thank you for saving me the time to dig that up!) and yes, it is the STi steering rack, probably the single most important change from the WRX to the 9-2X Aero.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I didn't write it, I stole it from Grimace!

·
Registered
181 Posts
that steering rack is a thing of beauty...one of my favorite things about the car is it's crisp turn-in.

That may be worht th extra $$$ over the WRX alone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't forget the head/thorax side airbags.

My main reason for buying the Saab over an STi was the head protection airbag.
(My dad suffered a traumatic brain injury a couple years ago from a fall off a ladder and will never be the same, so I'm pretty paranoid about that after spending a lot of time with him on a hostpital brain injury floor.)

In addition, the Subaru dealer was trying to REALLY rip me off on my trade-in - a 2001 BMW 750iL (V-12!!!) with about 46,000 miles.

Got $7,500 more from a Saab dealership that also has a BMW dealership. (I am sure that the Saab/BMW dealer will make money on the resale of my trade-in, but such is life.)

It's also nice to have leather seats and a sunroof.

·
Registered
154 Posts
yeah, not too many people go to a subaru dealership and walk out with a bmw 750iL. :D

gmanbumpy said:
(My dad suffered a traumatic brain injury a couple years ago from a fall off a ladder and will never be the same, so I'm pretty paranoid about that after spending a lot of time with him on a hostpital brain injury floor.)

In addition, the Subaru dealer was trying to REALLY rip me off on my trade-in - a 2001 BMW 750iL (V-12!!!) with about 46,000 miles.

Got $7,500 more from a Saab dealership that also has a BMW dealership. (I am sure that the Saab/BMW dealer will make money on the resale of my trade-in, but such is life.)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Skitzo said:
changed 1.8 degree's of toe-in for a more high speed stability and better turn in
Not to start a fight, but adding toe-in offers more high-speed stability, adding toe-out offers better turn in. The two cannot be gained at the same time with toe adjustement alone, unfortunately.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did a lot of research on the two cars. I bought the 9-2X Linear for my wife for an Easter present. She is giving back to me as a retirement gift. We drove from Billings to Great Falls last weekend at 70-75 into a 30 kt headwind and got a hair under 30 mpg. The steering is sublime, the compliance over bumps is what I expect from a European car, and the handling is superb. I expect the next generation of 9-2X will be even better with more input from Saab in the design. It may even rub off onto the WRX. :cheesy:

·
Registered
569 Posts
gmanbumpy said:

just wondering... for what reason are you trading in a 750 iL on a 9-2x? seems like if you got the bimmer, keep it... :eek:

i like this car, but isn't that a bit of a downgrade? :lol:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts