SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so after many many tries of searching for information on performance upgrades for an 8v, i have just made a new thread :/.

Anyway, i am looking into a 16v swap, which is taking forever seeing as there are a limited amount of saab 900's where i live. I have not been able to find a 8v turbo to take parts from either(Have an N/A 8V). so any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
There is an 8v n/a H-engine tuned by 'sonnet' to about 165 hp while retaining drivability.

http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17159&p=134187&hilit=killer#p134187

Essentially it's throttle bodies instead of an intake plenum. Mappable ignition and fuel. Good exhaust manifold. Tweaked cam, but not too much. Lighter and larger valves and head porting.

The output is impressive for the size of the engine.

Easier but not as productive is to meddle with the standard bits and pieces. If you have the tubular exhaust manifold then that can be removed and there is a lot of weld built up around the inside of the entrance to the exhaust tubes. You grind that away and that helps the flow. The ports on the entrance to the exhaust tubes can be almost doubled in size by grinding out the welds.

It's mostly about flow through the head though. Much of the time fiddling about on the sidelines is a bit pointless on an n/a engine. With forced induction things are a bit different as more boost will make more power! n/a is different.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts