SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my car (1989 model) stalled when waiting for a red light and I couldn't get it running again. One thing I noticed right off the bat was the fact that I couldn't hear the familiar buzz from the fuel pump coming from the trunk. I am guessing this is the prime suspect? Is there a way to test this?
If it tests positive, I guess I need to replace the pump? Is this something that can be done on the side of the road on my own?

Thank you for any advice you can give on the matter.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Certainly check the fuse first, and if that's good make sure you have voltage and good ground at the pump. Changing the pump on the roadside - well, that depends on your tolerance for roadside repairs.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
If you can get the fuel pump running by manually jumpering it see if you can get the engine to start. I would not under any circumstances attempt a fuel pump change on the roadside - way too many safety risks. Do all the usual checks to make sure no electrical connections have come off from devices such as the warm-up regulator or the auxilliary air valve, or vacuum hoses disconnected.

All the 8V cars I've had all have the horrible rubber bellow type fuel pickup at the base of the pump inlet and the rubber turns to goop over time and eventually falls off and/or blocks the pump or fuel filter if it gets that far if I happens to get picked up by the pump's vacuum effect.

Have a look at the distributor and ensure the rotor button hasn't gone bad, and if it's a car with hall-effect ignition check it's electrical connections. With a reluctor ignition or points ignition (8v's have had all three types over the years) there's not as much to check but the reluctor system has electricals as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies you guys. I jumped the fuel pump at the relay socket and lo' and behold, a buzzing from the trunk and the engine starting without problem.

So a faulty relais. Thanks again for the help and insights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts