SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I have a 1989 Saab 9000 none turbo, and I was checking the timing because I thought the idle was too hi, thinking perhaps the timing was advanced. I found the timing marks alright, but when I loosened the distributor and moved the distributor there was little or no effect on the idle, nothing seemed to happen. In addition, there does not seem to be a vacuum advance on the distributor. Is the timing done with sensors and does the vacuum advance only come on turbo models?

Steve

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Steve,

Yes, the timing is controled electronically by the EZK system - there is no vacuum advance.
However, when you've got the idle issues you should start by checking all vacuum lines for leaks - that's the most common cause. Also, make sure that your AIC valve and throttle body are nice and clean.
Anyway, this is quite common thing so just search the old posts and you should be able to find plenty of info.

Regards
Goran

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Goran and thanks. I thought that it must be something like that after I tried moving the distributor and nothing happened. The idle problem is not too big a deal. It probably idles at about 1100 putting a little pressure on the tranny and brakes at a stop light, but every thing still seems fine. I have looked for a leaky vacuum line and could not find one. I will continue to search. This model does not appear to have too many. I cleaned the throttle body and it does run a little better.

Thanks Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.