SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One day this winter dad went to drive the 89 900 convertible, but when he pressed the clutch pedal it went straight to the floor, lifelessly, without any resistance. After some research my dad bought a new clutch master cylinder, and once I came home from college I installer the little bugger. We jerryrigged an air compressor to pressurize the brake/clutch system to about 20 PSI to bleed the clutch (through the slave cylinder). After that, the clutch was the firmest and strongest I've ever felt a Saab clutch!

I ran a lot of errands that day, lots of town driving, and after a few hours came back home, and the Saab sat in the garage overnight. The next day, dad and I planned on going into town, and wouldn't you know, the clutch pedal goes STRAIGHT to the floor. I also noticed a large, suspicious puddle underneath the front end: brake fluid. The reservoir was also just below minimum!

Dumbfounded, we pressure bled the system again and restored the clutch to its rightful stiffness! We test drove the car and it was just fine. After that, the car sat for another full day, and this morning I looked underneath the car and sure enough, a puddle is forming. The pedal was still responsive, albeit a little less than before if I'm not going crazy. The reservoir was also slightly lower than before.

One important thing I realized afterwards: when we topped off the reservoir after bleeding, we used DOT3, not DOT4 which in the system. AND this DOT3 has been sitting around for a while, unsealed for a few months. Also, the reservoir and master cylinder area is really wet in general! The brake MC is all moist and shiny, and the clutch MC supply tube is all wet where it enters the reservoir.

So, does this mean that the original problem wasn't fixed by the master cylinder change? Or did I mess up when I was replacing it, causing a new problem? Thanks all!

·
Banned
3,949 Posts
big can of worms around here.

I will simply say "slave cylinder". many others will chime in with a plethora of thoughts. your job is to decipher what you think is good and go that route.

Using old Brake Fluid:nono;. bad bad bad. Not to say thats the problem but you should not have in my opinion. New stuff is like $5 for plenty...

good luck

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Slave cylinder. First thing to inspect when the clutch goes to the floor. You may have replaced the wrong part. The oil puddle seems to be under the front of the car where the slave is. Never use old or unsealed brake fluid, although this would probably not have caused your current problem. A leaking slave can feel fine if you've just bleed the system, but will fail again when the fluid has leaked out again.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm...

Thanks for the help! At first I thought that the big brake fluid puddle was right underneath the reservoir. Now, it was, BUT I noticed this time that there was a little trickle coming from the front of the car, which fed into the big puddle under the reservoir. Here are some pics detailing the source of the leak:

I noticed a drip per 2 minutes or so coming right off of the metal shield on the bottom of the oil pan, right by the motor oil drain plug.

I think this confirms what both of you guys said... it's the slave cylinder. What may be happening is that the irregular floor in my garage causes the fluid to ooze from the front of the car towards the area under the reservoir. To test this, I put a small container under the source of the dripping and if tomorrow the container is full and a puddle isn't under the reservoir, then VOILA: its undoubtedly dripping from the slave.

I'll post again with the results! If it does come down to the slave, how difficult is that to replace compared to the master? (Crossed fingers!)

·
Banned
3,949 Posts
If it does come down to the slave, how difficult is that to replace compared to the master? (Crossed fingers!)
It would be fairly easy IF you can get pressure in the system momentarily, too insert the spacer tool you will need. If you can't get pressure in the system then there are a couple different ways to get the slave out that requires a bit more fiddlin.

all this providing the slave ss the actual problem; which it appears to be.

As far as the fluid under the res, there are a couple clamps and hoses there as you pictured that may possibly be leaking, so will will want to investigate that further as well.

I guess you should make sure the res itself his in sound condition, and I am referring to the nipples underneath the res.

Also, when you replaced the MC are yu sure the hardline that screws into the back of the MC was fit properly?

Hard to help from the net but just tossing out things I would be checking in such a pinch.

Good luck,

·
Registered
12,963 Posts
I guess you should make sure the res itself his in sound condition, and I am referring to the nipples underneath the res.
In particular, the rubber grommets around those nipples tend to stiffen and leak. They used to be available separately and are quick and easy to change.
As stated by 202, if it's the Slave that's leaking and you need to swap it, it's worth the effort to get it working long enough to insert the Ring.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
20psi to bleed the system is about 5 times what you need.
Surprised you didn't blow the feed hose off the M/C.

$.02

·
Banned
3,949 Posts
20psi to bleed the system is about 5 times what you need.
Surprised you didn't blow the feed hose off the M/C.

$.02
I thought the same thing but not very good with the technical numbers so I left that one alone..

that advise could have been worth much more than $.02

·
Banned
3,949 Posts
Well, for comparison, a football is 12psi.:cheesy:

:lol::cheesy::lol:.

I just sprayed my monitor!!!!!

Lucky its bolted through the firewall. That would turned the MC into a bullet!

I imagine that could have caused the leak at the bottom of the res if he connected the compressor throught res cap??????? Sounds like enough pressure to blow out orings and the whole 9 yards.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I know that when you stomp the pedal, the hydraulics are under more than 20 psi, but in the retracted position, that much pressure might have popped something? I dunno.
$.04.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
not intending to high jack thread but I have a 'lazy'(nearly down before it bites, and very soft before) pedal at the mo, and thought master cyl so bled sysytem and was a bit better, but not much, but have ordered new seals to see if it is MC or not, but would it be slave if this was happeneing car now at 168k no history of clutch works, only the clutch replacement I had done 2007 @ 150k

·
Registered
297 Posts
Check your hose, (that looks like a snake if never replaced), that comes off the slave to the master. Run your hand along it and see if it's wet. See if it's bulgie like old hose - get dad to press in clutch while holding your hand around it and feel if it bulges when he does. Look at the hose again from res to your master, see if it's on right and not leaking.

Start with the simple first. My 8 cents worth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts