SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i noticed that my cap and rotor seem to be worn. there is a groove in the cap because it appears and end of the rotor is bent a little bit. it appears the rotor is glued on. how do i go about getting it off?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
i noticed that my cap and rotor seem to be worn. there is a groove in the cap because it appears and end of the rotor is bent a little bit. it appears the rotor is glued on. how do i go about getting it off?
Heat gun and vice grips probably Some people have just cut it off IIRC with a hacksaw, you just stop when you get to the metal, you can feel the difference when cutting plastic and metal easily.

Don't glue the new one on lol

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
I have never glued one on they are just a tight press fit, the spring clip inside rotor arm secures it on to the stem, but old mileage rotor arms tend to'rust'/stick on and need a good tug, never had one move either

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
They're all Bosch, and none are glue on

·
Registered
110 Posts
I looked high and low for a Bosch rotor that was not "glue on" So I went for a different brand. I couldn't put a glue on rotor on my car. It just seems wrong. I was told from a parts guy that all Bosch rotors are glue on in the States.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I looked high and low for a Bosch rotor that was not "glue on" So I went for a different brand. I couldn't put a glue on rotor on my car. It just seems wrong. I was told from a parts guy that all Bosch rotors are glue on in the States.
The parts guy is an idiot.

The rotors are keyed, they can't move, they can't slip off, there is no need for glue.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
The parts guy is an idiot.

The rotors are keyed, they can't move, they can't slip off, there is no need for glue.
I agree. You find them often glued on and you have to lever them off. I've never re-glued them. They can't go anywhere.

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
It's that idiotic, dumbed-down, abridged Bentley manual again.
US model year 1985 Turbos only had a different distributor and rotor from all other models. If you don't add a drop of Loctite 609(?), it will 'walk' off and damage the cap and the car will stop. It has nothing to do with the brand of the rotor.
If you don't have a US 1985 turbo model you don't need to do that.
If you have damage to your cap and/or rotor, and it's not a US model 1985 turbo, you probably have a broken front motor mount.

Stupid Bentley manual.....Everything in there should be taken with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
It's that idiotic, dumbed-down, abridged Bentley manual again.
Don't start any ritual Bentley burning yet Jim. Doubt if there will be a riot provided the media aren't given the heads-up. But it is the only thing you've got if you're starting from scratch, provided you realise it has it's faults.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Glued on is a buncha 'old mechanic's tale' carp. Press fit...if the part is the right one you should never have to glue it.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Don't start any ritual Bentley burning yet Jim. Doubt if there will be a riot provided the media aren't given the heads-up. But it is the only thing you've got if you're starting from scratch, provided you realise it has it's faults.
Meh it is pretty useless compared to the all-encompassing awesomeness of the C900 Workshop forum! :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts