SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

New lister here, just bought a pretty tight 87 900s 16v, which has a few issues, figured I would bounce them off the collective minds.

Gearbox vibration under acceleration and at 70mph, researched and found that there is a stub axle whose bearings are prone to failure, and alledgedly can be done in car... True / False ?

Secondarily, I have an oil leak from the timing chain cover area, I believe its from the cover area itself but have not really burrowed into that as I just got her yesterday.

Thirdly, the power steering pump bracket has come completely off the block, looks like bolts fell OUT...appears to be missing components, and one post says its fragile as well? Wondering if the missing mounting bolts for this bracket might hold the camchain cover tight, and be a source of the leak ( laughs )

SO.. wheres a good source for a shop manual, something better than a haynes... if there is one ?

Is there a concise interchange list, for what transmisions fit what, in the event I might just fit a different gearbox?

1 day into owning a Saab and already I can feel that fanatic feeling, they really are neat / odd / fun :))

Ken
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
not sure about the others, however, any year classic 900 gearbox will fit into any year classic 900, regardless of turbo/non turbo, 2.0/2.1, they're all the same bolt pattern and such, though the turbo boxes are built slightly stronger than the N/A boxes

·
Registered
660 Posts
If the oil leaks from around the pulley area, change the oil seal quickly or the oil will rot the harminic balancer rubber. Could it be power steering fluid? Apparently, the earlier white palstic reservoirs were brittle.

The vibration may be the inner drivers - can be changed insitu, one side at a time. loads of info on the site.

Good luck - come over to the workshop.

·
Registered
948 Posts
any year classic 900 gearbox will fit into any year classic 900
This is true but some will require a moification to the case to remove two bolt tabs that will interfere with your flywheel otherwise.:nono;

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
mikewitdaspike said:
not sure about the others, however, any year classic 900 gearbox will fit into any year classic 900, regardless of turbo/non turbo, 2.0/2.1, they're all the same bolt pattern and such, though the turbo boxes are built slightly stronger than the N/A boxes
Where exactly are the turbo boxes stronger than the N/A boxes?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Follow up info

Thank you for the replies!

yes yes, what is required to put a stronger ( if they exist ) gearbox into these cars? I am a machinist and have access to CNC equipment, should I need a quick program run. Adapter plate? Im not the type to enjoy a huge laborious job, without some type of improvement while there! If it's ALWAYS the inner drivers being a notorious issue, has anyone contemplated some case machining for larger bearings, or or or ?

928 is coming down off the lift this weekend, and I'll be putting the 900s up, thinking a view from the underside might be easier than peering down the firewall, in addition, if large parts have to come out, I can get started on them faster if it's there.

Ken

·
Registered
304 Posts
ken87saab said:
Is there a concise interchange list, for what transmisions fit what, in the event I might just fit a different gearbox?
All the 5 spds interchangeable, w/primary difference being gear ratios. Gear ratios are here thru '88, and "upgrade" in '89 described here. Some of the trans gurus (which I'm not) are not in full agreement that was an "upgrade".

There's a number of scanned factory shop manuals @ that same site, including tranny innards.

A lot of people routinely swap whatever 5 speeds are available in/out. The gearing most varies between N/A & turbo models, then changed again when SAAB punched out the motor another .1 LITER.

yes yes, what is required to put a stronger ( if they exist ) gearbox into these cars?
Only stronger boxes were earlier 4 speeds, last make in '79 (I think ///???) pre-900 SAABS . The case exterior is the same, is more robust, and will bolt into 900(s). Good bit more gas consumption though, and not so easy to come by. Unless you're looking to trick out your 900t < 250hp, you probably won't need one. :cheesy:

If it's ALWAYS the inner drivers being a notorious issue, has anyone contemplated some case machining for larger bearings, or or or ?
Inner drivers have a good lifespan & well designed AFAIC. Well over 150k miles is normal, much more if kept clean/booted/lubed.

I agree w/James (BOND that is)... check inner drivers before tearing tranny down.

Good luck w/your SAAB, and welcome to this (IMO) most excellent forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts