SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 87 5 speed turbo that is a solid 8.5 out of ten, never seen a winter and doesn't have a crack in the dash, seats have always been covered, head liner is new, paint is shinny. You would think this car was only a few years old. took me 3 years to save and find one in this shape, and I was stupid and thought it could handle being driven like a chevy. So the little egg shell motor with that "crazy" powerful 165 hp couldn't take it if I matted the peddle to the floor, and it broke the cheesy plastic timing chain guides and that's the end of that motor and fun but I can't junk the car cause it's too mint and it needs to be saved, doing a motor is just beyond my capabilities. Does any one know were I can go to get a new motor or get it rebuilt? ( in the Boston area?) If I ever get this car back on the road, I will have to drive it like a pussy so it won't break again. I love this car but they just are not good cars. This is my third Saab... and they all have needed a tranny or a head gasket or motor work, or have electrical problems and I have just junked the other ones, when it would cost too much to fix. but this one is too nice. I've had chevys that I would beat the holy crap out of and they wouldn't break. with 200 k . never once in 35 years have I ever needed a transmision or a head gasket, or had as many problems as I've had with these cars.I don't know why I am so obsessed with them when I know they will just bleed me. But I must save this beautiful car.. . And to all the purist, Before you comment , get all bent cause I like to have fun and say, 'well maybe these aren't the cars for you, these cars should be respected, and driven nicely ." Thanks Captain Obvious"....You do your thing , I'll do mine.. If you want to snail through an intersection and never give it more than half throttle and keep it 5 miles under the speed limit , good for you. I like to launch, and go around corners sideways. The only reason I'm having this one sided conversation is cause I've already had these opinionated talks with whiny purist people that get their panties bunched up when I chop a 50 year old Triumph or Harley. I could have just said I need a motor rebuilt, but then it would be a long back and forth conversation that would waste time . so this just weeds out the people that would give me their opinion as to why I'm a bad Saab owner.... .Ya , no kidding. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,698 Posts
I would suspect John from JG Saab Service in Lunenburg MA could help you. He has a ton of classic Saab experience, and probably has a couple of 900’s at his shop.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I've never driven my Saab's "like a pussy" they all have been tuned and ridden hard, rarely do they fail because of enthusiastic driving.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I get the feeling the OP is a plumber, and just likes bringing up ****. He came, tried with a few posts, and when nobody took the bait he split.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts