SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced cracking of the sheet metal where the clutch master cylinder mounts on an early 9000? These cars had the odd vertical mounted MC in the false bulkhead area next to the ECU (later cars use a superior design of MC mounted inside the car onto the pedal box.). I think my MC is moving upwards a bit when the clutch pedal is depressed. I think the metal is cracking and allowing water to leak in. I thought it was the windshield but I found the water dripping off one of the MC mounting bolts inside the car.

Any idea if there is an official fix for this? I silicone sealed the MC mounting bolts and general area around the MC which sems to have stopped the water leaking in.

There appears to be a significant metal mounting plate inside the car to which the MC is through bolted from the top. I thought some early 9000 had a defect at this location in that the metal wasn't strong enough so SAAB introduced an in production update to reinforce this area. If so, my car seems to have this as a late build 86. For example, my car is one of those rare NA spec 86 equipped with the moonroof and velour upholstery. Most 86 sold in NA with the moonroof package were sold only with the leather interior option also. For 87 and following years the moonroof and leather were separate options.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
cant help with the question about the mounting of the master cyl as the rh drive model over here doesnt have that type, but water getting in there could be a result of the heater drains being blocked allowing water to build up in that area

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, thanks, that was my first thought. That and the sun roof front drains which pour water into the same area. Then I thought it was the windshield.

I thought this cracking problem might be quite common on the older cars, but maybe they've all been fixed before now and there are only a few left anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts