SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may know that I have a project thread about an 85 aero. I'm posting this here (as well as on the project thread) hoping to get some ideas. essentially I have to replace the gearbox because the pinion bearing is worn so I think I might as well take care of anything I should replace in the motor at the same time.

So far I'm thinking that in addition to the gearbox , I should replace the cooling system (radiator, water pump and hoses etc), all oil seal/gaskets, timing chain, suspension bushes, intercooler and steering rack/pump. Also, I was thinking of replacing all rubber tubes with silicon.

does anyone have any other suggestions of what should be replaced? My goal is to turn this into a reliable car, but I wouldn't mind increasing the performance a bit so any ideas or replacement or upgradable parts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
make sure you can get gaskets for all as some are supposed to be non avilable especially the g/box to engine one, but big sheet of gaskry paper should suffice. intercooler can be cleaned by putting petrol into it and gletting it soak a bit then give the unit it a good shake,as you empty it to get (hopefully) all the old stuff inside

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
In lieu of gaskets the Permatex blue or black gasket silicone will work great (check with MMOE on that). Make sure you change any expansion (freeze) plugs you find in the block or head.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts