SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving my 81 turbo sedan home from work today and I was pushing it fairly hard under a decent bit of boost to keep the speed going at around 110 kph on a moderate rising grade, and the car blew a big plume of blue smoke out the tailpipe which hid the 4wd behind me for a moment. :cool:

I backed off the power straight away the smoking stopped, and for the rest of the journey home I used as little boost as possible and never allowed it to get very close going positive on the boost gauge in the dash so nothing went awry again.

It's started bucketing down with rain so I haven't had a chance to check anything, but I can think of two possibilities straight off - PCV playing up, or the turbo seals (oil cooled only) might have let some oil through and that burnt off to produce the blue smoke. Or both combining together (PCV mucking up thereby pressurising engine pushing some oil out the turbo seals).

It seemed to be ok all the way home, and in a few spots away from any other traffic I gave it a bootful on mostly level ground to see what happened, and it pulled away merrily in 3rd gear (auto trans) without any noticable (from my position) clouds of toxic blue gas. :cool:

What are other people's thoughts on this?

Craig.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Driving my 81 turbo sedan home from work today and I was pushing it fairly hard under a decent bit of boost to keep the speed going at around 110 kph on a moderate rising grade, and the car blew a big plume of blue smoke out the tailpipe which hid the 4wd behind me for a moment. :cool:

I backed off the power straight away the smoking stopped, and for the rest of the journey home I used as little boost as possible and never allowed it to get very close going positive on the boost gauge in the dash so nothing went awry again.

It's started bucketing down with rain so I haven't had a chance to check anything, but I can think of two possibilities straight off - PCV playing up, or the turbo seals (oil cooled only) might have let some oil through and that burnt off to produce the blue smoke. Or both combining together (PCV mucking up thereby pressurising engine pushing some oil out the turbo seals).

It seemed to be ok all the way home, and in a few spots away from any other traffic I gave it a bootful on mostly level ground to see what happened, and it pulled away merrily in 3rd gear (auto trans) without any noticable (from my position) clouds of toxic blue gas. :cool:

What are other people's thoughts on this?

Craig.
I've had the occasional cloud at the lights after boosting (high vacuum drags it through aka sitting at lights) they've been isolated events, and seeing how much the PCV system sucks in 8 valves I wouldn't be suprised if it was just a bit of oil that was sitting in the intake that got dragged in under boost.

I installed an oil catch can, and it's working great. There's a reasonable amount of oily crap at the bottom it and since then the intake liners etc I've cleaned have stayed clean :)

I used to worry, but the events have been few and far between.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
If it doesn't do it now I would stop worrying about it. You can get the occasional bit of crud in the PCV system. I've had the same when a errant piece of gasket blocked the PCV fitting in the cam cover building up pressure in the crankcase. When I found it and cleared, problem never recurred. 'Tis worrying though.

Turbos can do this, but then it's repeatable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts