SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 04 linear which I bought new at the beginning of september now has over 8000 miles on it (8200, I believe). The oil life has almost decreased to 50%.

This weekend, Ill be draining some of the factory fill to send for analysis, and change the filter too.

WHat Ive seen is that the oil has darkened somewhat, but this is likely due to the heat-activated nature of most modern additive packages in oils. Spreading it on a paper showed it to be clean and clear. Only oil analysis will show for sure. No oil has been used at all in 8000 miles.

One thing that struck me as odd was the coolant level. The level, after a 37 mile highway commute was at the seam in the bottle. The seam supposedly denotes the cold level of fluid.

Ive never had a dummy light come on, the temperature needle always goes to a hair below middle, very quickly, and stays there rock solid. Occasionally I smell a faint whiff of coolant smell, but there is never any sign of leakage or loss. Ill be interested in seeing how the oil analysis shows, in case there is elevated Na, K and/or glycol.

So thats what I found. Ill need to ckeck the coolant level when cold, to see if Ive actually lost any, or if there is just negligible level increase in the overflow bottle even when hot (some cars are like that!).

Ill post the oil analysis results at 8000 mileswhen I get the results back.

JMH

·
Registered
122 Posts
Coupd you PM me where you get the oil tested? Do you mail it in? What is the average cost?

My '04 is getting close to 5,000 and I wouldn't mind testing before I chagne it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts