SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
8-pin Din Connector for SE Amp? (New HU)

Hey all.

I've been reading the forums for a while now, but haven't had the oppertunity to post (not too much to contribute yet, but hopefully I'm learning more and more everyday).

With all of the various sales this holiday time, I picked myself up an Alpine CDA-9883 new head unit as I want the iPod functionality and the ability to adjust the sound levels a bit more (already tried the aux-in and various FM transmitters/modulators and wanted a better sound and interface). I've got a 2001 9-3 SE so she has the in door speakers.

I've already picked up the fill kit and harness from Genuine Saab, so I'm good to go there. And I picked up an antenna converter, as well. What I HAVEN'T been able to find yet is a 8-pin DIN socket so that I can connect the pre-amp outs to the stock amp for the door speakers. I checked the local 'electronics' shops (Best Buy, Circuit City, and Radio Shack) but had no luck.

Any ideas where I could pick one up or find them online? So far I've had no luck either in-store or finding one online.

ETA: Oh yeah, I've been reading the forums and that has helped so far with most of the install questions I had and double checking things. After searching and searching I've found that sure enough people say you need to make one, but not where to find the connector.

Also, I know people will say 'scrap the stock amp and speakers and upgrade' but I'm not at that point yet. I want the functionality first, and then I'll continue to upgrade the rest of the system (possibly) in steps.</ETA>

Thanks

-Sean

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
See if you have any electronic surplus places around your area, or any electronic component resellers. Radio Shack discontinued the one 8-pin DIN plug they used to carry a year or two ago. If you don't have any luck there, the original Sega Genesis used an 8-pin DIN plug for its A/V output, and cables are still being sold on eBay. The later smaller Genesis used a mini-DIN plug, so you don't want that. Some Bang & Olufsen stereos and also some Bose products use 8-pin DIN cables, but I think the Genesis cable would be the cheapest source. There's also a place near me that sells the plugs for about a buck if you want me to send you one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the Radio Shack by me (well, one of them) has an 8-pin DIN socket, however the arrangement of the pins is different. GRRRR. The midle pin is dead center, while the pin in the Saab connector is offset to the top or bottom (I forget off the top of my head). I was excited to think I had it, but then had my hopes crushed.. :( As far as I know, we don't have an electronics surplus places or component stores in the area :(, but I'll double check again

Jeremy, if you know you've got it at the store by you, it'd be most excellent if you wouldn't mind snagging one for me. Then I'm sure that it's the right one and takes the 'worry factor' out. Do they have the socket (female) or just the male plug with the pins? (or is my terminology of plugs and sockets screwed up?)

Thanks
-Sean

1 - 3 of 3 Posts