SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just took my car into the locat Fast Tracks oil change service place near my work. I changed the oil myself after buying the car and it was in need for another change. I changed it myself with synthetic Mobil 1 and a Napa Gold filter this summer and it cost me about 30 bucks to do myself.

Today it cost me $75 for Mobile 1 and the top of the line Mobile 1 filter. Seems kinda steep but maybe it's not. They topped all the fluids, filled tires and vacuumed the car.

How much should I be paying for a service shop to be doing my oil? PMI mentioned to me this past weekend that he pays about 30 bucks but my guess is that's not synthetic. Hopefully I won't have to get another change until the weather clears up later this winter so I can do it myself again. I don't feel that bad about paying the money for the change but I never feel like I can trust express oil change shops to do a good job, the right way.

Also, I have read that cars using synthetic oil don't need to have the oil changed as much as regular oil. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Topping fluids, filling tires with air, and vacuuming are all misc. services used to inflate price. They mean very little and the amount you paid to have that done is exorbitant. Though I never had anyone else change my oil, I'd assume $75 is way too much.

IMO too many shops and service centers take part in auxiliary services to squeeze money out of their costumers--sometimes in the most egregious ways :nono;

As far as synthetic oil...

You'll find a lot of varying opinions around here about how often the oil ought to be changed. I typically work off the every 5k schedule; sometimes a little sooner, never later.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I did mine this morning; 5 quarts of Mobil1 0W40 and an Mobil1 M102 filter. $32.47 total at Advance Auto (they're having a sale) and 30 minutes of my time, moving leisurely. This should be a DIY item, if you have a place to do it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I second everything roberts said, thou I change mine every 2500-3000 miles, which kinda renders the point of syn anyway, I think?
$75 sounds about right for a fully snythetic oil change, I know scrub a dub charges about 40 for regular oil, which is insane, along with the 75 dollar charge.

bntroberts said:
Topping fluids, filling tires with air, and vacuuming are all misc. services used to inflate price. They mean very little and the amount you paid to have that done is exorbitant. Though I never had anyone else change my oil, I'd assume $75 is way too much.

IMO too many shops and service centers take part in auxiliary services to squeeze money out of their costumers--sometimes in the most egregious ways :nono;

As far as synthetic oil...

You'll find a lot of varying opinions around here about how often the oil ought to be changed. I typically work off the every 5k schedule; sometimes a little sooner, never later.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
If we relegate this $75 to outrageous, then what does the $800 major service become ??
Greed is not limited to major league ball-players and politicians; but all of us, only not quite that badly...
A mans knowledge and ability to do a good DIY task are priceless...But we should forget this and return to work, on the cars and around the house - even more so; but with a good feeling...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in the UK, $75 dollars = approx. £37.50 UK pounds and that just about the amount I would have to pay for 4 litres of Mobil 1 alone. So an oil change with filter and the extras for $75 seems good value to me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I dont trust anyone changing my fluids. Why you ask? The last company change my family oil blown the motor. It was not my saab. It was a Saturn and they installed the motor wrong so the oil leaks and you always have to add oil to it.

My dad dont see a problem with it I think he stupid for not worrying. It money wasted.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
First off, I would never go to a "quick lube" kinda place.
Not when you can get the same prices from a garage where a licenced mechanic actually works on your car.

As for the price ... if you pay $35 for the oil and filter on sale and it takes 1/2 hour of your time ...
Why is anyone complaining about a garage charging $75-$80 for a synthetic oil change?
The mechanic has to be paid.
There is shop time involved.
The oil and filters have to be disposed of.
And to most real garages, oil changes are loss leaders ...

Let's give the shops a break guys ... if you don't want to change the oil yourself, don't complain about paying someone else to do it for you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The indy shop I work for charges $35 for conventional oil and $73 for full synthetic oil changes that include the fluid top offs and tire inflation. For those of you complaining about the high prices being charged by the shops, do it yourself in your driveway. The extra $30 is well worth it to some people to not have to get on their back, crawl under the car, clean up any oil spills, wipe off the hot oil that runs down their armpit and bear the frigid temperatures. Don't forget to factor in your time for not only performing the work but also the drive time involved in buying the oil, filters and then disposing of the waste. On a nice sunny Sunday afternoon, changing your oil in the driveway might be a relaxing event but when its 10F and the sun has set, the extra $30 doesn't seem like a lot to pay.

Regarding the quality of work, screwups are inversely proportional to the employee's experience. We have replaced many oil pans because some Vo-tech student working at Jiffy Lube over tightened the drain bolt to the point where the oil pan cracked. Go to an experienced shop to have your oil changed and spend the extra $5.

One final point, repair/service shops do NOT make money doing oil changes.
***NOTE: Quick lube shops not included as they do not have the overhead associated with full repair facilities, i.e. technical resources, shop equipment, experienced technicians, tools, etc. ***
If you pay your staff minimum wage, pulling in $20 for a 1/2 hr worth of work will probably net you a profit.

If the shop is going to stiff someone, its NOT going to be on the oil change!

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Mr. Lahey said:
How much should I be paying for a service shop to be doing my oil? PMI mentioned to me this past weekend that he pays about 30 bucks but my guess is that's not synthetic.
Correct. I usually change the oil myself, using one of the so-called high mileage oil formulations that ore often on sale.

Since my car is parked outside, and the only garage I have access to without planning ahead is not heated, I usually let someone else do it once or twice in the winter. In this area, an oil change runs between $20 and $30, sometimes about 10 bucks off with a cupon. After that, basically add the cost of synthetic oil, and any other service, like cleaning.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i bring my 97 900 se to the local saab dealer and they top off all the fluids, change the oil with synthetic and sometimes wash/ vacuum the car for $39.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Both here (L.A.) and Chicago I buy my own oil / filter, and have a local place do labor only for $10. Everybody wins.

With my mostly highway driving, I'm comfortable with 6 months / 7,500 miles using Mobil 1 and a premium filter.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Maybe I'm blessed with an incredibly good deal around here. I've always bought my oil in south-western NH (the upper valley) and have never paid over 30 bucks for synthetic oil. I haven't even spent over 30 bucks for oil and the filter.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
LPTDave said:
I live in the UK, $75 dollars = approx. £37.50 UK pounds and that just about the amount I would have to pay for 4 litres of Mobil 1 alone. So an oil change with filter and the extras for $75 seems good value to me.
in Canada, $75 USD = $72 CAD. A Mobil 1 synthetic oil change cost $74.99 CAD + taxes here in the Toronto Area at Mr. Lube (click for proof), and even more in Montreal ($76.99 CAD) so $75 USD is a good value. And the price will probably go up again anyway since the price of a barrel of oil is almost $100/barrel.

USAer's are so spoiled and just don't know it :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts