SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm now at 55k and I just did the plugs(curiously the original plugs were quite out of gap!), serp belt, cabin filter and air filter myself. Had the dealer change the oil and filter (I hate schleping around oil to dispose of it etc).

Lots of conflicting opinions here about brake fluid and coolant. Does Saab recommend that either or both be flushed and replaced? Some posts say coolant is for life, don't screw with it etc. My coolant looks exactly the same as it ever has since I bought the car off the boat in Houston. It has never leaked nor has it ever required a top off by me in 3 years :D!!

If the brake fluid needs to be flushed or replaced, can I take to a brake shop, or does it need to go to an indy with Saab experience?

Any other suggestions for the 60k service interval? We are taking a trip to Taos next weekend from San Antonio and I don't want to get surprised.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You shouldn't need to do anything before that trip. The brake fluid used in our Saabs should last a long long time. Typically if the fluid is a translucent light brown color then it is good. If it becomes milky, dark, or anything suspect, have it serviced. If your car is still under warranty I would take it to the dealer to have it serviced, otherwise any qualified shop will do fine. Just make sure they use the right fluid. Your owner's manual should tell you the type, I believe its Dot 5?

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
"Top up as necessary with DOT 4 brake
fluid. Do not use DOT 5 fluid."

Out of the SS Manual

Edit: NOTE--- THAT iS IT OUT OF A 2.0t/T Manual, the 06 Aero May very well be DOT 4

·
Super Moderator
9,435 Posts
brake fluid should be changed 2.5-3 yrs, it's not long life....had mine changed last year..

brake fluid is hydroscopic,it absorbs moisture,the more moisture it absorbs the lower the boiling point of the fluid becomes...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I find this thread interesting.

My dealership and another local dealership have both told me that I do not need to service ANYTHING, besides oil until 100k miles. Obviously this doesn't include brakes or tires, but what's up with that.

What are people changing there brake fluid, coolant, serp belt etc at 60k.

Btw, i have an 06 Aero

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I find this thread interesting.

My dealership and another local dealership have both told me that I do not need to service ANYTHING, besides oil until 100k miles. Obviously this doesn't include brakes or tires, but what's up with that.

What are people changing there brake fluid, coolant, serp belt etc at 60k.

Btw, i have an 06 Aero
I would suggest you read your service manual's recommendations for 60K service.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
On my old '03, I did the brake fluid every time I did the brakes. I've heard you should do it once every two years if you don't change the brakes more often than that.

Don't worry about the coolant. Fill-for-life is pretty accurate with it. I had my mechanic look at it at my 120K service and he said it was perfectly fine.

60K should hit five major points:

1) Oil/filter change
2) Air Filter
3) Cabin Filter
4) Serp belt (check the tensioner; mine needed to be replaced at 60K)
5) Spark plugs

Sounds like you're all good!

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Most of us are 2.0t/T owners the V6 has a different schedule.... check your Manual.
Actually they are very similar. Plugs, belts, filters, etc.

And brake fluid should be changed every 4 years according to Saab. Most other euro makes and some Japs say every 2 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts