SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saab,

I need some help given your infinite expertise.

I need a list of items, fluids and jobs that I need to address for the 60K service.

My 93 TurboX has 60K miles on it and it is time for some service. If I go with the advertised '60K' major service at the dealership or even indy's they would charge me around $1000. Not something I am willing to do right now. I boughter a vTuner stage0 but haven't installed it yet.

I have:
1) New plugs.
2) New coils.
3) New coolant.
4) New fuel pump. (don't matter I know).

I need:
0) Engine fluid.
1) New transmission fluid.
2) Transfer box fluid?
3) Diff fluid?

What else does a 60K service have?

quick help needed as I need to take the car ASAP.

·
Registered
102 Posts
you should be constantly aware and servicing things.

you don't just go do everything at once you do stuff as it comes along
-transaxle fluid you don't have a differential theres a difference haha=)
-oil every 15 k miles mobile 1 full synthetic extended gold , before every OTHER changer drive 10 miles with HALF a can of sea foam mixed with your dirty oil this will keep your engine clean!
-cabin air filter( throw it out do not replace )...
-maybe buy it a present (k&n forever use oil filter ) , (forge diverter valve)
-mats!
-put the spare tire in the garage save fuel lol if you (city drive)
-battery check voltages 12 volts check amperage
-radiator literaly replace IT not the fluid NEVER ADD WATER OR MIX WATER (buy dex cool use it never add)
-clean your hoses and throttle body they use silicon grease to lube them or tire shine this will keep them from cracking
drain your intercooler it gets a lot of oil inside THIS IS NATURAL
brake pads( possibly calipers ) (turn or replace rotors)
if auto trany replace tranny filter lol
(CHECK CV JOINTS )
check brake fluid .
clean your rims or get new ones lol always do this
lets start with this lol and inspect your lights (switch to xenon lights if you can much better ( race sport is the brand you want or a really good cheaper brand is opt7 )

I'm just listing un necessary stuff now
you can always use the rule of thumb if its not broken don't replace it .

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts

matrixcoding, were you drunk when you typed your response?

- "before every OTHER changer drive 10 miles with HALF a can of sea foam mixed with your dirty oil this will keep your engine clean!"
don't do this

-"cabin air filter( throw it out do not replace )..."
don't do that either, you kind of need the cabin air filter

-"mats!"
clean them? replace them? huh?

-"put the spare tire in the garage save fuel lol if you (city drive)"
don't do this unless you want to be stranded when you actually have a flat, weight savings is neglible

-"radiator literaly replace IT not the fluid NEVER ADD WATER OR MIX WATER (buy dex cool use it never add)"
uh, I guess if you feel like buying a new radiator (which by the way, you would need to replace the fluid too) :roll:

"drain your intercooler it gets a lot of oil inside"
not necessary, and I'd say a very small amount of oil, nothing near an amount you could "drain"

"if auto trany replace tranny filter lol"
auto trans filters haven't been around for a long time. we have a non-serviceable screen in our trans.

"clean your rims"
not really going to help accomplish 60k service

"I'm just listing un necessary stuff now"
yes, you are

"you can always use the rule of thumb if its not broken don't replace it ."
don't do that either, unless you want to be like millions of people who neglect their cars every day.

yikes was that too harsh?

OP, here is some good info for 60k service interval (although doesn't touch on service of XWD system): http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169444

·
Registered
102 Posts
where do you start

every one takes car of there cars diffently i was kinda just giving him a list of things he could do and if you do decide to opt over to 15k oil change intervals you will need to use a detergent between changes.

mats i was just saying hey look at your mats ? new clean whatever you want maybe look under them clean the carpet.

nice knowledge about the auto tranny having a screen didnt know that i drive a manual. but never hurts to tell somebody to change a filter? i mean dude clean the screen ? same thing lol

just cause saab disagreees with certain things doesnt mean they shouldnt happen overtime. like seafoaming for a ten mile driver it breaks down sludge in the turbo, then you replace it with fresh synthetic oil the 15 k oil mobile 1 makes has almost no aditives! thats why it lasts 15 k , technicaly if you had a pure synthetic oil without aditives in a close enviroment you would NEVER have to change the oil but we all know a little gas gets in your oil =)

and sorry for not knowing about the intercooler, mine had a decent some of oil in it then again my car is at 224,000 miles =) so what do I know.

and radiator is acutaly on the service list i thought to be replaced every 4 years just as good messure.

*****hold up let me just copy THE WIS and let him look at what the saab god says at 60 k get ready to fork your wallet over lol =)

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
There is no screen/filter/whatever you want to call it that is serviceable in the auto trans.

I've never seen a radiator replacement on any service interval for any car. It's not really a wear item.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wis

WIS SAYS 120,000KM 72,000 MILES
---------------------------------------
-01. FIT PROTECTION (refer to 27 wis says seat cover bumper guard wing guard and front guard dont know why ? but this is the formal service check list.)
-02 LIGHTING (CHECK AND ADJUST) suggested xenon
-03 COOLANT LEVEL AND FREEZING POINT (CHECK/ADJUST) recalled this
-04 BRAKE FLUID (LEVEL AND CONDITION CHECK/ADJUST) said check all fluids
-05 POWER STEERING FLUID LEVEL (CHECK) said check all fluids
-06 SHOCK ASORBERS AND BUSHINGS (CHECK)
-07 TRANSMISSION FLUID, AUTOMATIC (REPLACE) i said this
-08 GAITERS OUTER AND INNER JOINTS (CHECK.) i said this
-09 STEERING JOINTS (CHECK THE BUSHINGS)
-10 THE EXHAUST SYSTEM (INSPECT THE MOUNTINGS CHECK FOR LEAKS)
-11 FUEL TANK AND FUEL LINES (CHECK AND ADJUST)
-12 PETROL ENGINE WITH EXTERNAL FUEL FILTER (FUEL FILTER; CHANGE)
-13 BRAKE PIPES AND HOSES (CHECK ADJUST) I lightly coverd this
-14 REMOVABLE TOWBAR (CHECK/CLEAN)
-15 BRAKE PADS (CHECK) i said this.
-16 HANDBRAKE (CHECK THE FUNCTION)
-17 TYRES (CHECK THE TREAD DEPTH ADJUST PRESSURE)
-18 PETROL ENGINE (SPARK PLUGS - REPLACE)
-19 PETROL ENGINE (AIR FILTER,ENGINE REPLACE) (SAME FOR DIESEL)
-20 WASHER AND WIPER SYSTEM (CHECK AND TOP UP WITH WASHER FLUID)
-21 PETROL ENGINE (DRIVE BELT,AUXILARY UNIT REPLACE) serpentine belt in other words (same for diesel) (Z18XE ENGINE REPLACE TIMING BELT EVERY 4 YEARS OR 60,000km/36,000 miles)
-22 LOCKS, DOOR RESTRAINTS AND HINGES (CHECK/LUBRICATE)
-23 SAFTEY BELTS (CHECK/ADJUST)
-24 AIRBAG SYSTEM (CHECK)
-25 SERVICE INDICATOR (RESET)
-26 ROAD TEST
-27 REMOVE THE PROTECTION
<> BRAKE FLUID IS CHANGED AT 4 YEAR INTERVALS, SEE THE SERVICE BOOKLET.

hope I can still help=)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Saab,

I need some help given your infinite expertise.

I need a list of items, fluids and jobs that I need to address for the 60K service.

My 93 TurboX has 60K miles on it and it is time for some service. If I go with the advertised '60K' major service at the dealership or even indy's they would charge me around $1000. Not something I am willing to do right now. I boughter a vTuner stage0 but haven't installed it yet.

I have:
1) New plugs.
2) New coils.
3) New coolant.
4) New fuel pump. (don't matter I know).

I need:
0) Engine fluid.
1) New transmission fluid.
2) Transfer box fluid?
3) Diff fluid?

What else does a 60K service have?

quick help needed as I need to take the car ASAP.
Decent list. I'm doing the 60k on mine this weekend as well, but it's just FWD. Add the serpentine belt and you're good to go from what I've found. The coils are technically supposed to be rated to 100k miles. Personally, I'd keep them stored for if/when one goes before then.

This post on Saabnet (copied in the Questions you think are too stupid to ask thread here) has an excellent break down, but I do believe it's for only FWD vehicles so you'll have to do some extra digging. http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/bb/9-3/index.html?bID=134511

·
Registered
5,873 Posts

matrixcoding, were you drunk when you typed your response?

- "before every OTHER changer drive 10 miles with HALF a can of sea foam mixed with your dirty oil this will keep your engine clean!"
don't do this

-"cabin air filter( throw it out do not replace )..."
don't do that either, you kind of need the cabin air filter

-"mats!"
clean them? replace them? huh?

-"put the spare tire in the garage save fuel lol if you (city drive)"
don't do this unless you want to be stranded when you actually have a flat, weight savings is neglible

-"radiator literaly replace IT not the fluid NEVER ADD WATER OR MIX WATER (buy dex cool use it never add)"
uh, I guess if you feel like buying a new radiator (which by the way, you would need to replace the fluid too) :roll:

"drain your intercooler it gets a lot of oil inside"
not necessary, and I'd say a very small amount of oil, nothing near an amount you could "drain"

"if auto trany replace tranny filter lol"
auto trans filters haven't been around for a long time. we have a non-serviceable screen in our trans.

"clean your rims"
not really going to help accomplish 60k service

"I'm just listing un necessary stuff now"
yes, you are

"you can always use the rule of thumb if its not broken don't replace it ."
don't do that either, unless you want to be like millions of people who neglect their cars every day.

yikes was that too harsh?

OP, here is some good info for 60k service interval (although doesn't touch on service of XWD system): http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169444
Classic Eric! Makes some of my rambles look good.

LWells:

How about just doing the plugs, CP's, and coolant. A shop or dealer should do this for no more than 2-2.5 hours labor--well worth it.

Get these done asap and load up the Vtuner--you'll be kicking yourself for waiting once done.

The other items can wait or done at your leisure.
And what's up with the fuel pump? That can wait too imho unless you're getting codes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
opinions

so basically deadbeef every ones just suggesting there opinions i gave you a list of what the actual dealerships used to use in there 72,000 mile inspection.

if you want opinions theres infinite for now you have a actual list that came directly from work shop information system.

i could list things to do to your car all day to make it more awesome

·
Registered
258 Posts
I bought my saab in March 2013 with 94,000 on it and have been doing some 100k maintenance on it since I got it. It's almost at 100k now and last night I put together a list of stuff I want to do. I know this isn't 60k, but I figure I'd share anyway. Most of this is unique to me. ie the broken battery cover and fog light bulb. Also note I plan on changing my oil once a year, even if I'm way under mileage.

saab 100k maintenance/2014 work

drivers fog light bulb out
tranny fluid change atf 3309
chec/change brake fluid dot4lv ... ask what ian did. probably just bled. check condition.
low mpg since ian did work. check ian's maintenance records. discuss if something caused it
coolant change? Manual says it's life-long. no need to change?
prestone dexcool 50/50 ... walmart/amazon $12.47
oil CHange
mobil1 0w-40 ...Walmart 5qt $22.66
oil filter w/ o-ring
check/change power steering fluid chf 202
battery cover
check cost to install fuel pump
check/replace belt/s
drivers door lock
intake air filter
cabin air filter
MAF cleaning
Throttle body cleaning
passenger speaker

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
so basically deadbeef every ones just suggesting there opinions i gave you a list of what the actual dealerships used to use in there 72,000 mile inspection.

if you want opinions theres infinite for now you have a actual list that came directly from work shop information system.

i could list things to do to your car all day to make it more awesome
Well not necessarily. Much is based on experience and printed service intervals.
The WIS, Saab owners manual, and GM all say 3 different things on many service items.
What you quoted from the WIS is basically in the manual and I'm also guessing your outside the US.

Several items have changed since the 9-3SS came out including tranny fluid, spark plugs, serpentine belt, and other items. Certain geographic markets also have different intervals.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'll join in here. Seems a copy of WIS has made someone ASE again!

-Regardless of your opinion, going 15K miles on the cheapest maintenance available, especially with 224K on the clock, isn’t highly regarded in this community. Go try driving a roundel car, they don’t mind 15K intervals, and those that stick to that regime blow them up. Yes, your mobil 1 has additives as well – “Mobil 1 Extended Performance synthetic oil is made with a proprietary blend of high-performance synthetic base stocks fortified with a precisely balanced additive component system”.

-what he meant by transaxle fluid is probably transfer case fluid, and yes, it is specific to the unit, no it is not gear oil, and yes there is a filter.

-cabin air filter being removed can cause molding and build up within the CC piping. Go ahead and remove the $8 filter if you’d like this.

-comment about the spare is ridiculous

-mentioning floor mats when he’s asking about XWD 60K service is equally ridiculous

-if the battery is reading even 12 volts then you’re going to have problems

-radiators, as said, are not wear items and are never replaced every 4 years

-If you can physically “drain” your intercooler, you’ve big got issues. Read up on that, it's by no means "natural".

-brake calipers are replace in kind, not replace on interval

-obvious SS knowledge that there is no tranny filter. Someone so into their maintenance would know this?

-“clean your rims” – I’ll leave that one alone.

-TurboX came with factory Xenons……. HID kits are not a comparison

-“you can always use the rule of thumb if its not broken don't replace it.” <- negates the whole premise of preventative maintenance.

The portion of WIS is not model specific to the XWD cars.

I gather that the OP was looking for TX or even 2.8 specific info, none of which was even offered. Also, he was looking for maintenance items, not how to make his vehicle more "awesome".

I don’t have a TurboX. I do have an 06 Aero and 03 Linear, and yes, maintenance is different…… maintenance on my brothers 2010 XWD is different as well, so I’m going to go out on a limb and not apply only the items for my linear to all 3 cars.….

On the Aero's 60K, I did coolant, plugs, tranny service (auto), cabin air, some little nit picky stuff, and CHANGED THE OIL AT MY 5,000 MILE INTERVAL. Didn't change any coils as I didn't have any issues.

I have no personal knowledge (yet, and I’m not looking forward to doing it either) for the haldex, but I’ve read the back-n-forth’s like this thread: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224922

"cars are simple they are all mostly the same" Hey OP, you want the maintenance schedule for my 6.2L AWD truck? They're all the same anyways. Wait a minute..... nevermind, just checked, it has 4 wheels, it's the same.

·
Registered
102 Posts
ase

So your ase certification makes you a expert mechanic , apparently I don't understand forums yet cause I thought he had a 9-3ss . Like me
I do 15k oil changes mobile 1 guaremtees it I never said they don't have additives in my motor oil? I just was joking around with the fact pure synthetic oil doesn't wear.
Waste 70$ every 5k miles I drive my Saab under full boost all the time too my oil is
Blackkkk and smells like gas , but my engine is clean and my wallet is little more pudgy
If mobile 1 guarenttes it, IT IS SAFE

Maybe I shouldn't have opted in my terrible suggestions seeing I'm not ase certified
Or a forum pro.

Clean your rims was just a hey your rims could be dirty I see it happen a lot the brake dust cakes on and never comes off so I was just throwing that in there .

Anyways by now he has every idea ever on what to do to his turbox

Btw cabin air filters are for idiots and in the 9-3 as they soak up water and kill the blower motor . I was thinking about putting like a screen mesh where my filter was to keep leaves out maybe a micron mesh from a local aquarium store.

There is no need to insult each other on these forums. They are informational only and your lacking some to try make me look bad radiators do get replaced as a service interval link you said its preventive maintnence and could save your engine.

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
Btw cabin air filters are for idiots and in the 9-3 as they soak up water and kill the blower motor .
No they don't. Absolutely no water will get in there if you keep the drain clean and take the filter holder out, scrape the deteriorating foam off, and silicone it in there. Running no filter is a recipe for disaster. Have you seen the stuff it collects? Who wants bugs and leaves being pulverized in the blower motor and spraying all over the car?

·
Registered
262 Posts
you don't just go do everything at once you do stuff as it comes along
-transaxle fluid you don't have a differential theres a difference haha=)
-oil every 15 k miles mobile 1 full synthetic extended gold , before every OTHER changer drive 10 miles with HALF a can of sea foam mixed with your dirty oil this will keep your engine clean!
-cabin air filter( throw it out do not replace )...
-maybe buy it a present (k&n forever use oil filter ) , (forge diverter valve)
-mats!
-put the spare tire in the garage save fuel lol if you (city drive)
-battery check voltages 12 volts check amperage
-radiator literaly replace IT not the fluid NEVER ADD WATER OR MIX WATER (buy dex cool use it never add)
-clean your hoses and throttle body they use silicon grease to lube them or tire shine this will keep them from cracking
drain your intercooler it gets a lot of oil inside THIS IS NATURAL
brake pads( possibly calipers ) (turn or replace rotors)
if auto trany replace tranny filter lol
(CHECK CV JOINTS )
check brake fluid .
clean your rims or get new ones lol always do this
lets start with this lol and inspect your lights (switch to xenon lights if you can much better ( race sport is the brand you want or a really good cheaper brand is opt7 )

I'm just listing un necessary stuff now
you can always use the rule of thumb if its not broken don't replace it .

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
There is no need to insult each other on these forums. They are informational only and your lacking some to try make me look bad radiators do get replaced as a service interval link you said its preventive maintnence and could save your engine.
Unfortunately, you've only provided quite a bit of misinformation which is here for all to see.

Mods, maybe we can delete thread as this has gone nowhere?

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Matrix, He has a turbox. He most certainly has a differential, 2 in fact.
A radiator does not need to be replaced unless something is wrong. Flushing the fluid is recommended. A mixture of 50% water and 50% dexcool is recommended. 100% dexcool would be harmful please do not tell members not to add water.
Cease providing misinformation that could be harmful for saabcentral member's who don't know any better or you will cease being a member here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts