SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 03 Vector with 92000 kms (in Canada). Im now approaching 98000 kms and the 96000 km service light went on (I reset it). I called a dealer to inquire a price and they returned an estimate of $1100 to do everything recommended. This sounds ridiculous. What should exactly be done at 96K (60K miles)? Can this be carried out by an independent garage? I'm new to the Saab world so a little info and help is much appriciated. Thanks!

G

·
A quick search for "60,000 service" shows many posts about this subject. A lot of the cost goes towards labor and many things can be done by the average Saab owner. You can also choose to do some things yourself and have the dealer do the rest of things you don't want or don't know how to do.

Most of it is pretty easy stuff though and can easily be done in a few hours. I think most US dealers charge about US$600 or so for this service so CA$1100 seems quite expensive. Perhaps it's worth a short trip across the border and have it done in the US.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Well my US dealer quoted me $1150 and I almost fainted. The service required is spark plugs, oil and filter change, air filter, cabin filter, transmission fluid change, and replace accessory belt if needed. All parts and supplies came to around $200 and I did the work myself. It took me a total of 2 hours and that was with reading instructions and almost 30 minutes of that was trying to figure out how to change the damn cabin filter. It was really easy and it all can be done with hand tools and ramps or jack stands to get the car off the ground. Dealers are ridiculous with their costs. By the way the parts were all genuine Saab parts too and the oil I used was the famous German Castrol. I got two cases left. :cool:

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
The serp belt is a definite replacement item at 60k, some guys also replace the tensioner rather than just adjust it...IMO it's the thing to do, no surprises 6k later.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I did a lot of research on this subject a while ago adn decided to do the work myself, although i still have to do the serp belt change. Do the work yourself, save some $$. Everything was VERY easy.

60k service needs.

Plugs NGK

Brake Pad Inspection
Check brake pads and discs: wear and condition
Interval: Every 15,000 miles.

Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Inspect exhaust system for loose or damaged components.

Engine Coolant Inspection
Check engine coolant freezing point and check for leakage

Engine Oil and Filter Change
Service will be determined by the service indicator
reminder on your SID display.

Tire Rotation
Rotate tires. Check tires for uneven wear or damage.
If irregular or premature wear is apparent, check wheel alignment

Battery Terminal Maintenance
Clean and grease battery terminals
Interval: Every 20,000 miles.

Airbag system, SRS warning lamp, Visual Inspection
Check/visual inspection airbag system, SRS warning lamp
Interval: Every 30,000 miles.

Brake System Inspection
Inspect brake hoses and brake lines

Drive Shaft Joint Boots Inspection
Inspect inner and outer drive shaft joint boots

Engine Air Cleaner Filter Replacement
Replace engine air cleaner filter.

Fuel System Inspection
Inspect fuel system for damage or leaks.

Suspension Joint Maintenance
Retighten front and rear suspension joint boots

Engine Drive Belt Replacement
Replace engine drive belt and check tensioner function
Interval: Every 60,000 miles.

Spark Plug Replacement
Change
spark plugs
Interval: Every 60,000 miles.

Transmission Maintenance