SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What a piece of crap design...anyone else's keeps popping off?
I've tried so many different angles, but it always comes off, usually when it's very hot outside and the car has been sitting for a while.
Sometimes when I go to shift it ends up in my hand.
This is got to be the stupidest design...it's no brainer that eventually it'll loosen and start slipping off. Especially if it has been taken off previously.

Anyone any suggestions? Obiously it can't bee attached permanently:roll:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I used medium strength loc-tite. No problems since. Just make sure you don't get it down in the channel where the reverse lockout is.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the same issue for quite some time. Eventually, I took it off and modified it slightly. I drilled a hole into the front of it, tapped the hole, and then reinstalled the shift know with a set screw from Home Depot and a bit of LocTite. It has been about six months and no issues as of yet (knock on wood). I can take a picture if it helps.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Mine popped off the other day when I was shifting from 1st to 2nd and in a panic (and need to get into at least 3rd since it was a 50 mph road) I smacked it back on but now its not straight - and of course I cannot get it off to straighten it out. Driving me nuts. I even asked the service mechanic, he said he'd look into it but when all was done he said he was afraid he'd strip it so now I'm stuck with this and hoping it will work itself free.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine popped off the other day when I was shifting from 1st to 2nd and in a panic (and need to get into at least 3rd since it was a 50 mph road) I smacked it back on but now its not straight - and of course I cannot get it off to straighten it out. Driving me nuts. I even asked the service mechanic, he said he'd look into it but when all was done he said he was afraid he'd strip it so now I'm stuck with this and hoping it will work itself free.
You should be able to just wiggle it off (though it may take a bit of time). I had the same issue with the knob popping off midshift...I ended up dropping it and shifting without a know for a while lol.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Mines popped off 4 times or so. Eventually I'll put some loctite on it.

It's mildly annoying, but not enough to drive me to action yet.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I had the same issue last week! It was too hot outside and the car has been sitting all day in the sun. I smacked it back on but now its not straight (same situation as "rdub06" mentioned).
It made me laugh!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts