SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
aeropilot said:
KK, by 'toy gearbox' are you getting one of these lovely new 6-speed Quaife gearkits from Maptun by any chance.....;)

http://www.maptun.com/webshop/shop_info.php?id=2945&rubrik=197&kategori=688
Me want bad//

Thanks for this would not have found it for a bit. As I start my new 03 Aero project the first thing I noticed was how much more nicely my rebuilt w Quaife 2000 gearbox shifts and handles power...

this is just the ticket...

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kermit said:
Not cheap though, at current exchange rates thats £2038.24 or US Dollars $4269.51. :eek:
But well worth it, and in terms of cost about the same as all the standard bits if you bought them from Saab.

This will be a build it once gearbox which big power 9k/9-5 owners have been craving for yonks......comes with a choice of Quaife final drive as well I believe.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Speed ?

I was tempted by Quife 6 speed gear kit,but I was told that maximal speed is just above 200 kmh:eek:.
I guess that it will accelerate like a beast,but only to that limit-not sure is it the same,but more technical person can calculate V max of this box I guess.

Also there is another serious problem-where can I find 6-speed marked Saab leather gear knob?:cheesy:

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
DoctorPhill said:
I was tempted by Quife 6 speed gear kit,but I was told that maximal speed is just above 200 kmh:eek:.
I guess that it will accelerate like a beast,but only to that limit-not sure is it the same,but more technical person can calculate V max of this box I guess.

Also there is another serious problem-where can I find 6-speed marked Saab leather gear knob?:cheesy:
I don't think the 200km/h is accurate. Here's a quote from their site:
Secondly, it has a gearing that is adapted to street use, rather than track or drag racing. The 6th gear is actually slightly higher than Saabs traditionally very high geared 5th gears.
So if anything it will allow for a higher top speed, which kinda makes the added gear purposeful ;)

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Nice :cheesy:

3500 RPM at 102.5MPH
2400 RPM at 70MPH
1750 RPM at 51MPH

Sounds useful :roll:

·
Registered
809 Posts
If so sounds great!:cheesy:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
You can get the kit in the USA for cheaper than that from a Quaife dealer. I checked the other day and they had a couple on hand.

·
Banned
318 Posts
NickTaliaferro said:
You can get the kit in the USA for cheaper than that from a Quaife dealer. I checked the other day and they had a couple on hand.
Are you sure we're talking about the same gearkit? There's an existing 6-speed gearkit, which is not the same as this one.

AFAIK the new gearkit is a) exclusive to MapTun performance, b) not available for delivery until Feb.

Best regards,

KK

·
Registered
809 Posts
Higher and faster

Hi guys,this one from Quaife was limited to apr 200kmh-ie rally like and it consist from one shaft with gears,i hope that the Maptuns one is different,but
i can't find English page for it:eek:.
Will it keep the reverse lock and will it fit all 9-5/for GM fm 55 trany?/.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
The interesting thing here is I've never felt the gears in the 9-5 were bad (aside from 1st). It always seems to keep the car nicely in the power band.

·
Registered
809 Posts

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Raven18940 said:
The interesting thing here is I've never felt the gears in the 9-5 were bad (aside from 1st). It always seems to keep the car nicely in the power band.
They are bad in the sense they can't handle really high torque applications, understandably. If you talk to fatship, he has gone through 2 tranny's I believe.

Oooo! The first gear is longer! :cool:
6-speed: 3.00 to 1
stock-speed: 3.38 to 1

1 - 20 of 52 Posts