SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question that may yield some not-so-simple answers: how hard is it to put a 6 3/4" speaker in the 9-3 door (given that the stock speakers are 6 1/2"). Is it as "simple" as tapping out screw holes for the 6 3/4", or does it require removing some of the door frame? Are there other clearance issues to be aware of?

Pictures would be great if you have them!

Background for my question: as I'm sure many of you audiophiles are aware, there are a lot more 6 3/4" speakers to choose from than there are 6 1/2" speakers. If I can make a 6 3/4" speaker fit, that's the route I'd like to go.

Thanks, all!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Simple question that may yield some not-so-simple answers: how hard is it to put a 6 3/4" speaker in the 9-3 door (given that the stock speakers are 6 1/2"). Is it as "simple" as tapping out screw holes for the 6 3/4", or does it require removing some of the door frame? Are there other clearance issues to be aware of?

Pictures would be great if you have them!

Background for my question: as I'm sure many of you audiophiles are aware, there are a lot more 6 3/4" speakers to choose from than there are 6 1/2" speakers. If I can make a 6 3/4" speaker fit, that's the route I'd like to go.

Thanks, all!

Factory has a plastic basket, I bet you could easily fit something bigger without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
742 Posts
Pictures as promised.

Compared to my original Alpine 6062 6.5" speakers. These Seas parts are 6.9".

They are at the limit of what can be fitted as it is right up to the edge of the trim clip for the door card at the bottom left. (photo was taken during test fitting hence only two screws holding it in at the time and no deadening)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Pictures as promised.

Compared to my original Alpine 6062 6.5" speakers. These Seas parts are 6.9".

They are at the limit of what can be fitted as it is right up to the edge of the trim clip for the door card at the bottom left. (photo was taken during test fitting hence only two screws holding it in at the time and no deadening)

I bet that sounds really nice! Did you upgrade the amp too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts