SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've read about notchy shifting with the 6spd, but i haven't read much about the 5spd. i have about 280 miles on my '05 arc. shifting is extremely notchy. it gets marginally better when the car warms up, but still much worse than i'd expect from this class of car. so i have two questions:

1) does the tranny need time to break in, and can i expect this to get better after the break in period?
2) has anyone (including saab) come up with a fix? different oil?

i read about the tsb for shift linkage, but that it only applied to the 6spd. i love the car, but the shifting function is annoying. should i bring it to a dealer? in the hyundai community, everyone loves redline mt90 oil as it's gl4 spec. is the saab 5spd a gl4 or gl5? for anyone that doesn't know, everything i've read points to gl5 oil being bad for a gl4 transmission because the gl5 oil has sulfur in it, which deteriorates the synchros. synthetic oils are gl5. correct me if i'm wrong:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
My 05 seemed very notchy when i drove it away from the dealer compared to my 03 model but has now gotten better after 800 miles.

·
Registered
413 Posts
its still a very new and tight car you have. it should loosen up some once you get a few miles under the tyres.I dont think you have anything to be concerned about at this time.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have about 280 miles on my new 2005 Linear, too.... but I must say the shifter is MUCH slicker than my 2003 350Z I traded in for it. Just depends on what you're used to, I suppose.:cheesy:

I like the fact that the Saab has nice, well-defined and precise-feeling gates without being too difficult.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, i don't think this is a matter of "what you're used to." if i go to put the car in 1st and it goes through the first "click," but stops at the second, it's a problem. it sort of does this in 5th, but it goes....slowly and painfully. yes, this happens with the clutch depressed fully. i guess i have to take it to the dealer.:evil:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts