SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my mom drives her 96 900se 5spd 2.0 turbo like a grandma. it has 150xxx miles and the tranny has already been replaced with a salvage one once when it locked into 4th gear. it still has the stock clutch. the shifter bushings under the shifter have been replaced once already by a shop, but she believes that they only replaced one of the bushings.

she says it has:
  • shifter has sloppy feeling to it, like before the bushing was replaced
  • sometimes it shifts fine
  • sometimes pops out of 2nd and 4th and often pops out of reverse (keep in mind these are all the bottom gears on the shift pattern)
  • often wont go into reverse from a stop
  • says that it seems like the shifter is misaligned and it just cant find the slot to drop into,
  • also said that it feels like it isnt dropping far enough down into the gear.
but keep in mind that she knows nothing about cars.

some of my ideas:
  • is her clutch a hydraulic one that might be low on fluid?
  • could a bent/old shift rod cause this problem?
  • is there a shifter bushing, or anything, that controls the movement of those bottom gears?
  • is there no other possibility than another tranny is on the way out? :x
any ideas on if its the bushings, shift rod, tranny or something else?

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Your mom has a cable clutch...

Her shift linkage (just outside the firewall, connecting the shift rod to the tranny gear lever) might be going bad...

150K on the stock clutch is amazing....My compliments on her skill...

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've had the reverse problem since I bought my car. It has gotten worse and worse. In my case it is the transmission, I just never wanted to fix it for $2,400. My reverse gear has nearly lost all of its teeth so when the gear shift is put into reverse and I let out the clutch it starts to spin, grinds, and pops right back out. It needs to be engaged between two teeth to stay in gear. You may have a worn out gear for reverse or hopefully its something else or its going to cost you a lot.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
All the ideas you list seem pretty credible, you might check out the FAQ at the top of the forum. We put together a transmission section with common problems and solutions.

With luck it could definitely be a linkage issue. And bushings do wear out, and the linkage can be adjusted a bit too. Also, a redesigned "upgraded" linkage is available. The catch is that it costs >$200.00 for the part, and if you need a transmission after all it's money wasted. Anhow, check the FAQ, it might help and definitely ask back if anything is unclear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what would repairing/replacing the clutch linkage involve? is there anyway to check if thats it or not?

thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Replacing the linkage if pretty easy, basically unsrewing two nuts and sliding the new one in place, then adjusting it. Upgrading to the new style is a bit more complex, you need to hacksaw off an old mounting bracket from the engine to make room for the new style. I've heard it isn't hard since you're sawing through aluminum like stuff.

Maybe the best way to tell is to shine a flashlight down in the front/center of the flywall while some one moves the shifter around. You'll see the linkage itself, and will probably be able to tell if the rubber parts are very worn or missing. There's also a white plastic bushing hidden under the rubber accordian thing which you can peel back and take a look at. This bushing gets pretty brittle and often breaks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
by flywall do you mean flywheel or firewall?
that sounds like something i could do, but in either or those cases i'm still not sure where i would be looking.
does this linkage go from the shifter to the tranny?
should i really only be concerned with the ends to see if they have play?
and there is the white bushing, and i assume one bushing at either end, so 3 things to check, right?
thanks people.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Silly me, of course i meant firewheel :D er FIREWALL.

I could have been more clear, but yes you're right it sits beween the shifter and the transmission. If you look behind the engine with a flashlight while someone wiggles the shifter you'll see it.

This site has a nice picture to show you what you're looking for

http://www.thesaabsite.com/900new/NG900transmission.htm

and yes, three potential places it could fail, two black rubber bushings that you'll be able to see, and a white plastic bushing that'll be tucked under the rubber accordian thing.

The play would be in or around any of those bushings, not so much the 'ends'. the whole geometry thing gets pretty messy with this thing, by the way.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
turbo93impreza said:
thanks, I'll check when my mom gets home with the car.
I suspect she knows quite a bit about driving and cars..., she must .. 150K miles on the original clutch !!

I hope that this problem is either worn mounts or a shift piece that MAYBE should have been replaced and was not...

In order to reduce NHV(noise,harshness,vibrations) GM uses a soft rubber in their Saab automobiles - which does not last as long.
IMO, they are not doing the right thing, but I would prefer the softer rubber - I think.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts