SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$550 to replace the shocks and struts (KYB)... do you guys think its reasonable.
Should i worry about the springs too... they normally dont go that bad, do they ?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Is this through a local shop? I need to do mine soon too. I'll be purchasing Bilstein HD's from the tire rack website and having them drop shipped to an install shop. The strut mounts will be purchased from eeuroparts and taken with me when I go for the install.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, its through a local tire shop. I was thinking of buying the parts myself, they add upto about $250, but didnt think i would be saving much there.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
queryanalyzer said:
$550 to replace the shocks and struts (KYB)... do you guys think its reasonable.
Should i worry about the springs too... they normally dont go that bad, do they ?
The springs have been know to break at their ends - perhaps after 10 years and 150K hard miles..maybe 10% break....maybe 1%, but we hear about it ! Maybe a dye check to expose microscopic cracks would be an idea..

·
Registered
803 Posts
queryanalyzer said:
Yes, its through a local tire shop. I was thinking of buying the parts myself, they add upto about $250, but didnt think i would be saving much there.
Are you doing all 4 or just the front?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
earthworm said:
The springs have been know to break at their ends - perhaps after 10 years
Affirmative, the coils are known to be problematic and do break around the 10 year mark. I replaced the left front on my 1996, then a few months later my sisters 1997 front right broke. When I went to the wreckers to find another one, almost all that I saw were also broken. I'd change the coils while you have everything out and apart.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nocluetim said:
Yes, i am doing all 4's.

earthworm said:
The springs have been know to break at their ends - perhaps after 10 years and 150K hard miles..maybe 10% break....maybe 1%, but we hear about it ! Maybe a dye check to expose microscopic cracks would be an idea..
My cars run like there is no suspension. It just hits hard over any bump or dip.

·
Registered
803 Posts
nocluetim said:
In that case $550 doesn't sound that bad. You might want to save a bit more and go with a better strut insert though. Just my opinion...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts