SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
IMG_0452.jpg

Then with some containers bought for a dollar at Dollar Tree, we can measure how much we have drained and how much we need. I drained 4.5 quarters.

IMG_0456.jpg

Then we add the same amount we removed by measuring both containers. Also, we can see the differences in color :lol: used and new fluid. Nasty.

IMG_0457.jpg

Refill the tranny with the new strawberry juice :cheesy:

IMG_0458.jpg

Put back the fill and drain plugs and I drove the car for 15 min around my apartment.

I came back for another transfusion of 4.5 quarters (repeating all the process again). When done, I had used 9 quarters, so I went for a sort driving again and I did again one last transfusion of 1 quarter. In my opinion, this one draining of just a quarter wasn't really necessary because the fluid coming out was clean and transparent.
So, finally I used 10 quarters. ;ol;
By the way, to lift the car in a easy and safe way, I bought a set of Rhinoramps for $44 @ Walmart.

IMG_0462.jpg

I bought the car last year and I believe it was the first time it had the fluid changed because it was quite brownish. The car has 120k.
It also had some slipping and noise from 2nd to 3rd gear. After this safe flush, it does not do that any more. :)
By the way, I fixed the alarm problem. It was going off randomly 5 min or 5 hour after locking doors. It was the passenger's door lock switch. The dealer confirmed it and he kindly disabled the alarm completely because that part is not available any more.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
20,432 Posts
Thanks. I'm going to put this in the How to thread.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Could you give me a more up close pic of the fill spot, I couldn't find it on mine.
here

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235683

BTW: if you guys need Rhinoramps, check craigslist first before buying it brand new from a store. I see them on craigslist for ~$25. Same with just tools in general, they are way cheaper if you buy it used on craigslist. plus, its good for the enviorment reusing stuff.

·
Registered
952 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
I changed my fluid today. Thanks for the DIY!!

The old fluid smelled so bad, and it was a dark red/gray color! Only put in 4 qt though. And now the gear shift so much smoother.

Also it was a huge PITA putting the blot back on the dip stick! Our saab has the WORST tranny dip stick ever designed! >:[

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great simple write up. It helped me a lot when i did mine. I have done it 3 times so far. I buy the Mobi transmission fluid on ebay or Amazon. These two seem to have the best prices on cases.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Did mine a month or so ago, purchased fluid from Summit Racing @ 67.71 for 12 quarts shipped. I didn't measure the fluid I drained, I simply used the little green dipstick.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts