SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
really quick question, what year did the manual transmission in the pre- '93 900's change from a four to a five speed?

·
Registered
751 Posts
it was really early, probably only the very first 900's had a 4 speed. i've seen a 900 from '79 with a 4 speed.

let me guess, your after the 4 speed linkage:cool:

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
JimmyG said:
it was really early, probably only the very first 900's had a 4 speed.
The 5spd was probably optional in base-spec cars for a few years - wasn't there a bit of a facelift/range-refresh around '84/5ish when the 5-speed badge on the back got dropped? Probably then. It _may_ even have shambled on until the 900carb was finally given a decent burial...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i had a couple 900's, early 80's vintage, that were 4 speeds. now that i am back in the market for a pre-93 900 I wondered when the change to the five speed come around...

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
my first saab 900 was a "B" reg 1984, single carb 4 speed, you could get a twin carb model and that had five, but all my other 900's have been injection with 5speed or auto, so i would imagine 84-5 last one's about, as later single carbs had 5speed but i would expect as above that 4 speed were out finished 84-5 well before the facelift in 86, as this was probably the 99 box ?(not sure if same)

·
Registered
36 Posts
5 speed was available 1981,how ever when it was standard i can't recall.My folkes bought an brand new saab 99 in that year with the new H engine and also the 5 speed transmission.

Jasper

·
Registered
948 Posts
let me guess, your after the 4 speed linkage:cool:
I didnt think the linkage ever changed apart from the coupler...

I installed a 4 speed (1979) chillcast in my 94 vert and used the stock 5speed housing/linkage with no issues.
(except a shift up light in 4th once in a blue moon)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well you are all pretty much zoning in on the '84 '85 years for a guidleline. thats close enough. it seemed i could always use that 5th gear on the four speeds i had, as i was always on the highway at the time of ownership, so i am betting that thats a good place to start, thanks a bunch!!! :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts