SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a question on my 5 speed manual trans. The fill bolt of course has been stripped out by the previous owners. Any ideas or suggestions on getting this fill bolt removed? I think it was a horrible idea to put a hex bolt as a fill bolt on the transmission. I've already tried using a torx bit to get a better grip and it did nothing. I've thought of cutting a notch in the head of the bolt, so I can use a flat head on it. Also thought of using an extraction kit which consists of drilling it out. Any other ideas would be appreciated, I'm sure someone out there has a solution.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there anywhere else I can fill the transmission from? I heard there was a check plug above the drain plug?

·
Registered
10,158 Posts
There is a check plug above the drain plug. You could fill it through there if you have a small pump and a hose. Most auto parts stores should sell something like that that attaches to a bottle of oil. I had to use one to fill the transmission on my dad's old 1988 Accord. That car required you to fill the transmission through the level hole.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
... or a funnel with a flexi tube on it.

https://www.amazon.com/Allstar-Performance-ALL40107-Flexible-Extension/dp/B003C0189M

I used one of these to fill through the fill hole, but am 100% positive it'd work through the check hole as well.

It was the only way to fill my transmission on my XR4Ti when it was an automatic. Actually turned out really useful for filling the T9 (through the shifter hole) as well, too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a check plug above the drain plug. You could fill it through there if you have a small pump and a hose. Most auto parts stores should sell something like that that attaches to a bottle of oil. I had to use one to fill the transmission on my dad's old 1988 Accord. That car required you to fill the transmission through the level hole.
Guess what? Tried to get the check plug out and it's also stripped!!! I'm getting frustrated now. Don't know what the hell to do with it now !

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Are the heads stripped or the threads? If the heads, it's not time to panic yet. Lots of solutions there, up to and including welding to the head or grinding it off. If the threads, it may be time to consider replacing the gearbox.

What actual problem are you trying to solve here?

·
Registered
18,237 Posts
If you can weld, weld away.You could weld a short 8mm thread (14m head) bolt on there with the threads up to hold it... after removal cut the threads off and you have a large hex head for the future. The welding heat will probably loosen it anyway if you get in there quickly. The factory loctited them in and loctite goes soft with heat.

Are you sure they are fully stripped? Was your allen wrench all the way in?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are the heads stripped or the threads? If the heads, it's not time to panic yet. Lots of solutions there, up to and including welding to the head or grinding it off. If the threads, it may be time to consider replacing the gearbox.

What actual problem are you trying to solve here?
Threads are fine nothing cross threaded. The hex heads are stripped. Ill probably break out my stick welder and weld on a bolt. Im trying to check/change my trans fluid, i've got a pretty nasty leak on the out put seals. I just bought the vehicle 2 days ago, didnt know if anyone had any better ideas than me. ill try cutting a slit in it and heating it a bit with my torch, if that doesnt work ill weld a bolt on there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you can weld, weld away.You could weld a short 8mm thread (14m head) bolt on there with the threads up to hold it... after removal cut the threads off and you have a large hex head for the future. The welding heat will probably loosen it anyway if you get in there quickly. The factory loctited them in and loctite goes soft with heat.

Are you sure they are fully stripped? Was your allen wrench all the way in?
Yup i can weld, took a welding course in auto tech school. Ill give welding on a bolt a try. These bolts haven't been touched since 96. Yes the heads are fully stripped out, I even took a hammer to my hex bit with an extension to get it fully seated.

·
Registered
18,237 Posts
Yup i can weld, took a welding course in auto tech school. Ill give welding on a bolt a try. These bolts haven't been touched since 96. Yes the heads are fully stripped out, I even took a hammer to my hex bit with an extension to get it fully seated.
Even when the heads are good and you get it to break free, these are very, very tight and well loctitied - it's a big plug so there's lots of thread to lock down. When they break free in the normal way with the allen wrench you will think that you broke something - it's quite a crack.

You have to be careful to do it right the first time to avoid stripping them. Sounds like someone didn't understand the dynamics and/or didn't get the tool in there properly in a previous life and stripped them.

FYI- an upgrade to MTF0063 is recommended... fixes a lot of issues. But, it requires a double flush and is not cheap: https://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/files/93-95man-oil.htm You car came with motor oil in the tranny... most of us prefer something more tranny oriented.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
You might try taking a slightly larger allen head socket wrench (like a 9-mm) socket and taper the outer edges slightly. Then hammer the larger socket into the fill plug as far as it will go, then apply pressure with a breaker bar... Ron

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Impact driver works for me with light heat to soften the thread sealant and expand the case. If the 6 mm allen is stripped try an sae allen. But impact driver always works for me, with heat. May have to loose/remove a motor mount and raise or lower the trans to get access and use a long extension so you can wield a BFH onto the impact driver with good force. And heat.

Install good plugs. I have a few , there are so many dead transmission cases its easy to harvest plugs

1 - 20 of 23 Posts