SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to the board but not to saabs or tuning(more like messin around, breaking stuff:cheesy:). Anyway, I have decided to start tuning my 9-5 and was wondering if anyone has pushed the limits of the 5 speed auto. Also, is there an lsd available for the auto?
thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
As far as i am aware there is no LSD for auto Saabs. Only the quaife unit for the manual.

Lots of power in the auto can be dangerous too, especially seeing your not in charge of the kickdown or the upchange you can get lots of power when you dont want it (Like when coming out of a sharp apex)

Still you should be able to see 300hp from one fairly easily and it wont cost an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
AdrianB said:
As far as i am aware there is no LSD for auto Saabs. Only the quaife unit for the manual.

Lots of power in the auto can be dangerous too, especially seeing your not in charge of the kickdown or the upchange you can get lots of power when you dont want it (Like when coming out of a sharp apex)

Still you should be able to see 300hp from one fairly easily and it wont cost an arm and a leg.
I believe all of the 5 speeds came with the sensitronic stuff, correct me if I'm wrong, so the downshift issue isn't really much of an issue anymore.

I think the highest stage I've seen (granted this is on stock Aero internals and stock Aero TD-04 turbo) was somewhere around 300 horsepower and 310 ft/lbs of torque (Nordic tuning stage 2 numbers), while the manual also has 300 horsepower but 325 ft/lbs of torque. The newer automatic transmissions are stronger than the pre-facelift ones, but I think that's about as high as I've heard an automatic going. Then again, I don't pay as much attention to the automatic performance threads because I have a 5-speed. :confused:

Here is where I got the information above:
http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_49&products_id=189

Like I said, I'm no automatic expert, so please, someone correct me if I'm wrong. :cool:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Once I contacted with Maptun and they informed me that they go up to 450NM (someone has to convert it to ft/lbs) of torque at high RPMs.

I looked at my mails from Nordic but they only confirmed the HP and never openly answered my torque question (probably that's where the trick is). I can't open their home website but I recall the figures as 420NM for manual and 400NM for 5 speed automatic at stage 3 which is generaly the limit for universal ECU uograde. Then they would also make custom tuning and maybe same trick works to increase the torque at higher RPMs and probably after 1st and 2nd gear.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I guess my next question would be, has anyone swapped an auto for the 5 speed? I've done it with VW so I'm pretty familiar with that sort of thing, but there was a wealth of info on the net making it easier.
All the hp #'s that were quoted are bhp #'s. I am looking to get 300 to 350 whp. Limiting boost in the first few gears is a good trick but eventually it is going to break.
TOM

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
It's not the horsepower that is the limiting factor on the autogearbox, it's torque that destroys it.

There are guys in Sweden and elsewhere that are running 350+hp easily, but with the lower gears torque limited to 400-420Nm.

Swopping to a 5-speed stick I suppose is possible if you have a same year donor car available to swop bits.........far from an easy task though, don't even know if anyone has done it yet on a facelift 9-5...??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts