SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So got a 01 9-5 Aero and it has seems to me that the car is not up to full potential. So i have read through the threads and done a few things. Like plug the emissions line, hooked the waste gate to the compressor side, and replaced a few vacuum lines. I installed a boost gauge tonight and it reads normally 5 psi, sometimes jumping to 6 psi. So is this normal for an Aero? I would think 5 psi would be more for the LPT cars.

·
Registered
463 Posts
what gear are you checking? 1st and 2nd are limited
is oil filter/fuel filter/air filter/plugs/sump up to scratch?
have you checked out chris's thread to fix a faulty one way line that can affect boost?
where in the in dash boost guage are you reading? if you can hit the start of the red/end of yellow in 4th and 5th then maybe your meauring instrumentation is faulty.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have been checking in 1st and 2nd gears so far. All just put on the cold air, so filter is good, just did oil change, so its good, just changed out the plugs, check. I did do the one way valve fix by plugging it. The in dash gets up to middle of orange and thats it! And can't hit boost in fifth gear.....its an auto, only four speed, i think! lol But i have never seen it get close to the red. Hell i raced a late 90's honda accord the other day from about 40 up and we stayed side by side! Thats just not cool! haha

·
Registered
463 Posts
drop your sump and scrub it.....
simple oil change one a 147k 9-5 won't do

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh boy, that does not sound like much fun! Ok i will search around on here cause i am sure the "how to" has been posted before. Sounds like a fun weekend project!:roll: So do you think that could be the cause? Besides what is the normalish boost pressure this thing should be running, i was thinking more like 10psi!:lol:

·
Registered
463 Posts
maybe some corroded rubber pipes? check around your engine to see that none are corroded.
maybe maf sensor is dirty? throttle body dirty? an old nike sock stuck in your turbo? theres a lot of things it could be man :p the ones other than the sock are common though. or maybe some hose is disconnected that shouldn't be.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just cleaned the MAF yesterday, have not checked the TB. I have replaced some of the lines, but i will replace ALL the rest of them here in the next few days and check on cleaning the sump.......fun times!
Also, it was not a Nike, it was some cheap one i found! lol

·
Registered
463 Posts
aww man, thats weird, i always thought the cheaper ones broke up more easily in the blades! good you got t out though, that might have been what was causing it!
best of luck to you sir ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, now its occasionally jumping up to 7 pounds of boost. Weird. But tomorrow i am swapping out ALL the vacuum lines, and gonna try the disconnecting the waste gate to see if indeed i do get full boost to check out the little butterfly valve on the waste gate.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well got under the hood. Got me about 10 ft of vacuum line and tore everything off and replaced it. Found a hose that had a hole wore in it connect to the TB. Slapped all the new hose on it and WOW. Now it feels right! Hits 9-10lbs now, and really feels some torque steer now! yea!:p
But question, i have seen on here that some people flip their diverter valve if it is a forge 007 one. I have one and have flipped it, but is there any real advantage to this?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
13-15! Really! Wow, well i did do that fix a week or so ago so i guess i am stuck with my 9lbs. Feels pretty good though! But a tune would be great on this thing. May have to take a short trip over to Taliaferro and have them play with it!:cheesy:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
13-15! Really! Wow, well i did do that fix a week or so ago so i guess i am stuck with my 9lbs. Feels pretty good though! But a tune would be great on this thing. May have to take a short trip over to Taliaferro and have them play with it!:cheesy:
Yessir, have them see if they can't find any leaks or anything as well. I don't think Nick would want to tune it until it worked right on the stock tune. Or at least I wouldn't... lol

You could also try to clear the ECU just for kicks. I suppose there is a chance that the computer isn't used to having the full use of the turbo so it's tuned down.

I believe fuse 15 is the ECU fuse... but if you look at the fuse diagram (the fuse box in the dash) you'll see the engine management fuse. Pull it for 5 minutes or so.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well yanked the ECU fuse for about 45 min. And triple checked all vacuum lines. And no change, still about 8-9 pounds of boost. Oh well, it runs alot better then it did! Any other insight or suggestions you have about gaining back the boost that is missing?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Well yanked the ECU fuse for about 45 min. And triple checked all vacuum lines. And no change, still about 8-9 pounds of boost. Oh well, it runs alot better then it did! Any other insight or suggestions you have about gaining back the boost that is missing?
I suppose it's possible that your by-pass valve has torn (like the stock units tend to do) which makes it so it can't hold as much boost. To be honest, I'm not sure how you'd check this short of buying a new BPV (preferably a Forge 007, which is a piston BPV instead of diaphram). Maybe someone else has a good test for you in that regard.

Also, make sure your delivery pipe is screwed on tight. I was working on a friend's 9-3, and for some unknown reason, his BPV was disconnected and his car barely boosted, yet it never threw a CEL. Put the BPV back into the delivery pipe and the thing scared the pants off him... He was thrilled! :cool:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
actually doesn't the auto gearbox see less boost than the manual across the board? 9-10 might be just right for the 4spd.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts