SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in your opinion would the 900 automatics have been better cars if they have been five speed.

Has anyone ever tried to swap?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Yes, I think that the autos would be better as a 5-speed, primarily because the auto tranny gearing seems a bit low for highway crusing and first gear seems a bit taller than it should be. The 5-speed would straighten that out for sure, especially on a turbocharged car because you could keep the engine in the high-output zone.

As far as swaps, I think that you're stuck with the Borg-Warner that came with the car. The C900 setup is unique and doesn't allow for much change.

ProfZ would be a good person to ask about the automatic transmission stuff.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
you are lucky to have 3 speeds from a trans of that vintage! :lol: Gm was still using 2 speed "powerglides" when the B&W 3 speed auto was designed!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, that is true but if the technology was available then, then would you consider it as an option to have this.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
wife's got auto lpt conv, would be a lot better with 4th drive, had 3.6 jag xjs auto, 4th kicked in at about 50mph+ gave us 28mpg easy, the lpt auto does no better, also had 84, 900 4 speed when going 70 always felt i needed another gear as engine seemed to be revving hard(which i suppose it was, but no rev counter )mpg was 25-27 max . used to have triumph 2000's always had the electric 5th gear mpg miles better.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Yes, the autoboxes are low-geared. Remember, they were sold in the US market during the double-nickel days (boo, hiss:evil: ), when the national speed limit was 55 mph. SAAB probably figured the lower gearing would give crisper acceleration from rest, and top speed/high-speed cruising was irrelevant:p

I'd love even a 4-speed auto with lockup converter, but that's not an option for a Classic 900:cry:

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
DeLorean said:
you are lucky to have 3 speeds from a trans of that vintage! :lol: Gm was still using 2 speed "powerglides" when the B&W 3 speed auto was designed!
The original automatic transmission, Oldsmobile's Hydra-Matic had 4 forward speeds. All Hydra-Matics had 4 speeds, until they developed the torque converter, (instead of a fluid coupling). The 1965 Turbo-HydraMatics (with torque converter) had 3 speeds because the torque conveter allowed for more flexibility and took the place of one of the speeds.

Only the Chevrolet Powerglide (tranny of choice for drag racers) had 2 speeds, a direct and a low... as well the Buick Dynaflow / Super Turbine 300 did, but the others didn't.

Auto tranny speeds are getting nuts nowadays, 7-speed Benzes and the like. Half the time you are accelerating you aren't because it's busy shifting :roll: 4 speeds is fine, 5 is better, 6 is probably optimum but once you start getting into 12 and 14 speed gearboxes as on a heavy truck it is a little stupid :roll:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts