SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I am seeking opinions and there appear to be quite a few on this site. I recently purchased a 2002 9-3 SE convertible with a total of 26,000 miles on the clock. It did not have any service records although it did have the book for the factory service program in the documentation.

After changing all the fluids I noticed that the new oil (M1 0-40) went to yellow-brown in two days so I started researching oil issues on this site and believe I now understand the general thinking and specific fixes.

To date, I have installed the PCV #6 kit and pulled the cam cover to check for any sludge deposits. There was no buildup in the cam cover so I am not planning to pull the pan to check any further, given the low mileage and clean cam cover.

So my question is do you think my approach is reasonable? I am using M1 0-40 in my 2007 Aero Wagon with good results so I think I made the right oil choice but if I am missing something please let me know.

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I have installed the PCV #6 kit. The oil became dark in 3 blocks of driving which is why I initially started the research. I may indeed drop the pan but my feeling was that a total of 26K was fairly low mileage.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
got to remember even though you drain the pan. there is still oil in the oil passages and in the oil cooler.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
do the pcv version 6 update seen here
http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=56_62&products_id=456
to help prevent sludge issues. after doing that i would still pull the pan and strainer to ensure it is clean before problems arise. turbo cars do darken oil quicker than other cars as there is more heat .
One of the things that got SAAB into so much trouble with sludge was there were some dealer maintained cars with very very low miles that still suffered engine failures.

Dropping the pan really is cheap insurance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts