SaabCentral Forums banner

341 - 360 of 393 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Anyone consider using the top of the stock box to "extend" the heat shield functions?

I plan to do this once Spring is finally here and I've been thinking about this. Since you're cutting the top of the stock box anyway, why not just cut the entire top of the top box out? It would leave the higher sides/walls that the stock box has but leave the top exposed (would the hood liner provide a bit of relief from heat when the hood is closed?)

You could then keep the heat shield easily secured because it's basically the stock box with the top cut out. The bottom would stay secured within the oem mounts and the sides of the top box would stay secure because they could remain screwed into the bottom of the box.

I'd keep the snorkel in place to allow cooler air to be sucked in from the front of the car and piped towards the filter, but the airbox would be "open" at it's top, so the cone filter and piping would still be able to suck up more than just what the snorkel provides.

It's worth a shot. If nobody else tries this, then I'll take some pics in a month or two when I get it done.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Anyone consider using the top of the stock box to "extend" the heat shield functions?

I plan to do this once Spring is finally here and I've been thinking about this. Since you're cutting the top of the stock box anyway, why not just cut the entire top of the top box out? It would leave the higher sides/walls that the stock box has but leave the top exposed (would the hood liner provide a bit of relief from heat when the hood is closed?)

You could then keep the heat shield easily secured because it's basically the stock box with the top cut out. The bottom would stay secured within the oem mounts and the sides of the top box would stay secure because they could remain screwed into the bottom of the box.

I'd keep the snorkel in place to allow cooler air to be sucked in from the front of the car and piped towards the filter, but the airbox would be "open" at it's top, so the cone filter and piping would still be able to suck up more than just what the snorkel provides.

It's worth a shot. If nobody else tries this, then I'll take some pics in a month or two when I get it done.
Hey bud, yeah a few of us have done that myself included. Cut the opening out of the top cover of the stock box, leaving the lower half in place to act as heat shield. Then I took some black door edge molding and surrounded the cutout on the cover to finish it off. It didn't make much of a difference, at that point I should've just got a good panel filter and left the intake stock.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hey bud, yeah a few of us have done that myself included. Cut the opening out of the top cover of the stock box, leaving the lower half in place to act as heat shield. Then I took some black door edge molding and surrounded the cutout on the cover to finish it off. It didn't make much of a difference, at that point I should've just got a good panel filter and left the intake stock.
Right on, but I'm talking about going a step further. Not just using the bottom... also using the sides of the top (still screwed to the bottom as a larger heat shield. I would only cut off the top of the upper portion of the box (leaving the sides in place and screwed into the bottom portion.

Just thinking it might help to further protect the intake from the elements and ambient temps.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Right on, but I'm talking about going a step further. Not just using the bottom... also using the sides of the top (still screwed to the bottom as a larger heat shield. I would only cut off the top of the upper portion of the box (leaving the sides in place and screwed into the bottom portion.

Just thinking it might help to further protect the intake from the elements and ambient temps.
Sorry, I shoukdve been clearer. That's what I meant, I used the top cover. Cut the flat part off the top so it was open and screwed it back on. I used the black door edge molding to cover the sharp cut area that I dremeled out of the lid.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Sorry, I shoukdve been clearer. That's what I meant, I used the top cover. Cut the flat part off the top so it was open and screwed it back on. I used the black door edge molding to cover the sharp cut area that I dremeled out of the lid.
Do you have pics posted anywhere? I wanted to see what the final product looks like but haven't seen any using the top of the airbox yet.

I know from a performance view that it won't do much but did you get the increase in intake and turbo sound that most sat they get?

I'm hoping it compliments my tune but I do enjoy the sound and would like a bit more. As long as it doesn't hurt performance then I think it's a worthwhile project and mod for me.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Do you have pics posted anywhere? I wanted to see what the final product looks like but haven't seen any using the top of the airbox yet.

I know from a performance view that it won't do much but did you get the increase in intake and turbo sound that most sat they get?

I'm hoping it compliments my tune but I do enjoy the sound and would like a bit more. As long as it doesn't hurt performance then I think it's a worthwhile project and mod for me.
Here ya go buddy.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Does give a nice sound: PHHHHHSSSHHHHHHHHHH!!!! WOOOOSSSSHHHHHHH!!!! :)
Planning on doing this tomorrow hopefully
i have a small filter think half the size of yours would that still be fine or should i get a bigger one?

Also is the sound much more noticeable then using a k&n panel filter in stock box?

What kind of pipe would be my best bet to use if i plan to just cut the intake like u did?

sorry for all the questions i just want it to be good and right.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ended up doing this today. took a couple hours and still need to finnish the box with edge guard

can someone post a link to the edge guard they used as im not too sure on what it is lol.

·
Registered
313 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts

Looks like you could take the bottom half of the original filter box and tailor it so the cone filter would lay inside

oops sorry I missed the post with this photo

I just ordered the adapter, pipe, and filter online through Amazon
All together only $40
Actually read further and realized that all of that was pretty much covered DOH !

·
Super Moderator
9,687 Posts
Simple as it comes with great reward! The sound is amazing I love it, cost me 36$ I stole the small filter lmao . Heating shield after the snow we are expecting
I know this is old, but did you really just admit to stealing?

·
Super Moderator
9,687 Posts
OK I did our Combi tonight for fun because I realized how much better a manual trans sounds with this mod. I'm not tuned so I don't care about intake temps as much as I usually would. $40 and 2 hours later:

Don't mind the filthy engine bay. ;)

·
Registered
88' SPG, 03' 9-3 2.0T
771 Posts
OK I did our Combi tonight for fun because I realized how much better a manual trans sounds with this mod. I'm not tuned so I don't care about intake temps as much as I usually would. $40 and 2 hours later:

Don't mind the filthy engine bay. ;)
Looks pretty clean! Me like ;ol; what piping did you use? I'm guessing that's an AEM dry filter, but the piping looks pretty neat too. Fits the engine bay well.

·
Super Moderator
9,687 Posts
Looks pretty clean! Me like ;ol; what piping did you use? I'm guessing that's an AEM dry filter, but the piping looks pretty neat too. Fits the engine bay well.
Thanks! Nothing special on this mod, bought all the stuff at Advance Auto Parts (felt like a teenager again with my first car! :lol: ). It's the Spectre brand, even the filter (regular oiled filter). Only thing I did differently was paint the bling-bling chrome pieces hi-temp black.

341 - 360 of 393 Posts