SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 393 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into buying an intake for the saab but I didn't wanna pay rediculous prices for parts that I can make myself and will work as well. Even though theres no performance add w/ this mod, the spool up sounds great and the diverter valve is really loud now.

Disclaimer: You will ruin your airbox if you make a mistake doing this mod, so take your time and cut carefully. You only have one chance at making it work.

Step 1: Using a sawzall, dremel, hacksaw or whatever, cut the "tube" off the top piece of the airbox. The tube goes farther into the airbox but I only cut it about 4 inches south of the MAF sensor

Step 2: Clamp a 2.75in coupler to the MAF tube. I used variable size 2.75 inlet / 3.00 outlet coupler.

Step 3: Clamp a straight piece of intake pipe to the end of the coupler.

Step 4: (Optional) Clamp a 45* or 90* elbow if you want your airfilter facing down closer to the air duct

Step 5: Install your filter of choice and check if everything is tight and secure.

APC Filter: $20
Coupler: Freebie (Spare)
Intake Straight Pipe: $10
90* Intake Elbow: $10
Total: $40

Yes that is a ziptie, temporary until I fab up some kind of support. I'm also going to make a heatshield next time it's not 0 degrees outside

·
Registered
14 Posts
i was actually thinking about doing this also, good mod, im wondering though if you are going to end up throwing a code like the K&N does.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
I think this is a smart way to do this... and $150 cheaper than what you could buy.

The only thing you are missing is a heat shield, which comes with the BSR kit.
It is available separately, I believe.

I've heard "zip tie" is the new black, BTW:D

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
hypothetically, he won't ever get an error code. read on to see why..

the reason i say this is due to lots of testing i've done myself WITH the K&N product. and currently it's not even on my car, i took it off.

to beat a dead horse into oblivion, all that really matter is the diameter of the tubing near the MAF. you can have a 20 ft tube sucking air out fron all sides of your car, as long as it feeds into that small 2.5" (or is it 2.25"?) stock fit by the sensor. the reason i know this is because my k&n, as expected, threw codes like it was its job. i wasn't about to waste 200 bucks though, so i fabricated a smaller tube to fit inside the k&n tubing that matched the stock tubing diameter. after placing padding on the outside of the smaller tube and connecting it up, the car started up and ran great all summer and into early winter without a single error code.

i did however, finally find a problem.

in the snow, or heavy rain.. if the cone gets wet, the car will idle strangely, sputter and go into limp mode. i've never had the car stall, but after a snow storm about 2 months ago, and having to stop-turn off-restart the car (to get out of limp mode) i decided enough was enough.

i can't say i ever noticed a difference in performance, but the sound was enough of a reason to want it back again. you simply can't even hear the turbo without it (you get spoiled).

i would suggest this mod to anyone who is savvy enough to try it, i'm going to hold off and purchase a bsr optiflow simply because if i have the same kind of rain/snow problems again, i want to have a fail safe sitting in my garage.

good luck and great write up!

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
An Outstanding DIY! I would second Ctrlz suggestion of fabricating a Heatshield a'la BSR type.

If you Prefabed those you'd sell a bunch:eek:

·
Banned
631 Posts
you can make a heatshield out of sheet metal.

I'm fimally glad to see someone not wasting money on a $200 intake setup.

His $50 setup works just the same.

Congrats brotha :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wtfwill said:
hypothetically, he won't ever get an error code. read on to see why..

the reason i say this is due to lots of testing i've done myself WITH the K&N product. and currently it's not even on my car, i took it off.
You would think that after the 10,XXXth intake that K&N made they would get it right.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Teamwork

I would love to try this. Is it possible to easily convert back to stock as you have cut the tube? Also, anyone care to get a how to to mod the heat shield? I want to do this mod but would also like to install the modded heatshield along with the intake.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Boatdrinks5 said:
I would love to try this. Is it possible to easily convert back to stock as you have cut the tube? Also, anyone care to get a how to to mod the heat shield? I want to do this mod but would also like to install the modded heatshield along with the intake.
The only way you could bring it back to stock is epoxy the maf part of the tube back onto the airbox. If I ever put my car back to stock, a new top half is only like $25 from the dealer so it's no big deal.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
You can form cardboard to shape a template for the heatshield, Sheet metal wouldn't do much for insualtion. It would be best to use a relatively sturdy and thicker Aluminum or Stainless sheet stock and have a bend put in it.

As I recall, There's also anoher DIY thread or two from a ways back with a Heatshield in one of them.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Boatdrinks5 said:
Is it possible to easily convert back to stock as you have cut the tube?
The thing to do is take the all the intake bits off the car. Then get a nice 90 degree miter cut about 1.5-2" in front of the MAF. This means using a miter saw.

This will give you a nice clean cut and you can easily re-oppose the edges later. I think the best way to rejoin these tubes (to revert to stock) would be with aluminum duct tape. This is not like gray vinyl duct tape. It is actually thin aluminum sheet with an adhesive back (very sticky). Available at Home Depot, etc. in 2" widths. Two wraps around the tube and it will look like a shiny aluminum intermediate tube. It will actually look like it belongs there, the joint will be very strong, lightweight, and will never corrode like hose clamps.
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/aluminum-metal-tape.jpg

You will find other uses for aluminum tape once you are familiar with it.

One other idea:
Before you miter the tube, score it perpendicular across your cut line. This will give you a precise way to line up the tubes should you need to reconnect them.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
You can try using heat resistant aerocell insulation foam sheets to use as heat shield. This is the same material used as insulation wrap for air conditioning ducts. Just use aluminium tape to stick them together or use silicone glue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I like the whole idea of the open air filter, but I dont want to pull the hot air in from the engine bay, I like the set up of the stock airbox. I actually wanted to try something like this with a cone air filter, but put it in a canister and run it with the stock air tube thingy into the fender. I was thinking something like was done on this jeep, but I have no ideas where to get the canister. Any ideas?

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/JAairIntake/AirIntake.htm

Sorry if this is jacking your thread, I just thought it may be a cool thing to add on to your custom intake.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
ProBaller said:
I like the whole idea of the open air filter, but I dont want to pull the hot air in from the engine bay.
Easier to just go with a drop-in to replace the pleated paper filter.
This will give you a louder intake, and easier reversibility to stock.
Intake restriction is not a power limiting factor in this car.

·
Registered
151 Posts
K&N throwing codes???

03saab93t said:
i was actually thinking about doing this also, good mod, im wondering though if you are going to end up throwing a code like the K&N does.
I've had my K&N filter in for over a year with not codes or issues?????

Are you talking about the filter replacement or a K&N cone filter?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Heat shield how to needed

Boatdrinks5 said:
I need to make a heat shield for my radiator fill tank too (already had to have my cap replaced with less then 27,000 miles). Don't want my tank to split. Warranty will cover but I don't want the headache. I want to fabricate a true CAI. Why has no one done this yet? All needed to do is connect the MAF and the tube going down. When I get time I will most defiantly get to this. How to with pics and all.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
ArmySaabman said:
Are you talking about the filter replacement or a K&N cone filter?
He is most likely referring to the K&N cone filter intake kit. These have a horrendous reputation here.

The K&N drop-ins do not cause trouble.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the K&N replacement filter now. I was wondering if a CAI would have louder spooling or is it about the same as a K&N replacement?

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Boatdrinks5 said:
I have the K&N replacement filter now. I was wondering if a CAI would have louder spooling or is it about the same as a K&N replacement?
Lot of old threads on this. I think the CAI is louder... too loud for some.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i gave in today on my day off and put it on also. the only thing is that i have that hose coming from the front of my air box and i saw that the bsr has what looks like a breather on that.

but the breathers are way to small to fit on it so im not sure how to work that one. any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 393 Posts