SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a thought......

After speaking with my mate (who has worked with Vauxhalls for many-a-year) he suggested that I start to look for a Calibra 4x4 scrapper, as the running gear will be a fairly "simple" job to transfer.

A 4x4 262bhp 9-3 sounds fun and would kick rear end!!

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By simple I think he meant, it will fit!!! (ish!)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
martin.nicoll said:
Why when it can be done with a Saab?! ;)
Cheaper and less work ;) I'm lazy that way :cheesy: I like to be practical even though it's less fun sometimes. With a 2 month old baby I don't have the luxury of time.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
at least you have Calibras over in the UK to use for 4wd

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
hkayssi said:
Cheaper and less work ;) I'm lazy that way :cheesy: I like to be practical even though it's less fun sometimes. With a 2 month old baby I don't have the luxury of time.
But hykassi is genius too, because Saabs are much about practicality, and therefor converting to AWD is like an oxymoron. Until its complete:)

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
spg? I dont know what that stands for

Oh you mean the body kit?
Its the lower body pannels instead of the body moldings like the classic 900. It's actually called the SIDAUTO kit after the people who made it and it was approved and installed by SAAB for the Italian Market.
The ricey body kit, I can do without thank you :lol:

I really want that kit but it's impossible to get you can see it better on this car maybe. It would look perfect with my Viggen kit.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
snowboardin58 said:
But hykassi is genius too, because Saabs are much about practicality, and therefor converting to AWD is like an oxymoron. Until its complete:)
a 4X4 Calibra in a SAAB body is still a Vauxhaull Calibra not a SAAB. So why waste time on that? Did any of you notice the engine is installed side ways and the axles are 4 lugs even though they look like Viggen wheels. I'm not 100% sure they used Calibra parts as the may have been from a Cavalier (European not Chevy :lol: ).

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I'm not sure if you're refering to the kit or the transmission. The kit is from a 900 Aero. Italian edition only AFAIK.

For the 4X4 transmission, I'm not eaxcly sure what it was taken off but I'm think it was taken out of either a Calibra or a Cavalier.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
If just the drive parts and a few other bits required were mounted with a Saab engine and chassis then I'd feel authentic still calling it a Saab!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hkayssi said:
a 4X4 Calibra in a SAAB body is still a Vauxhaull Calibra not a SAAB. So why waste time on that? Did any of you notice the engine is installed side ways and the axles are 4 lugs even though they look like Viggen wheels. I'm not 100% sure they used Calibra parts as the may have been from a Cavalier (European not Chevy :lol: ).
IF I go down this route I would use the basics of the 4wd set up only.

The engine, body, wheels, hubs, subframes, chassis, breaks etc would stay Saab parts, so it'll be 90% Saab 10% Calibra. :cool:

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
2 things, firstly the rear floor section is uprated to cope with the rear wheel drive, secondly the Vauxhall/Opel 4x4 unit is notoriously problematic

that aside i cant see why i cant be done

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
martin.nicoll said:
The engine, body, wheels, hubs, subframes, chassis, breaks etc would stay Saab parts, so it'll be 90% Saab 10% Calibra. :cool:
You mean 50% Saab, 40% Opel Vectra, and 10% Calibra ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts