SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
While looking at kits for stainless steel brake lines, I noticed some of the kits have 6 lines instead of 4. What are the extra 2 lines for ? I went out and took a look under the car, but didn't see a spot where the extra lines go. The Goodridge set is supposedly the 40003.

It is a 1999 9-5 Base Wagon.

Thanks in advance,
Cap'n

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
You have newer brakes, so you do not have "extra hoses". You have 1 piston and floating brake caliper.
Older have 2 pistons and solid caliber.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have newer brakes, so you do not have "extra hoses". You have 1 piston and floating brake caliper.
Older have 2 pistons and solid caliber.
Ahh gotcha, thank you for the info Mimmi. That makes sense, as if they are solid, they would need the extra hose to get both pistons to work and brake properly. Have a great day :D

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So is my 1999 a "crossover" year ? All the kits I am finding for SS lines have six lines in them.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
YEs. Older brakes up to VIN ...X3025751 and newer brakes from X3025752.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
YEs. Older brakes up to VIN ...X3025751 and newer brakes from X3025752.
Cool, thank you for the clarifying info, it is helpful for sure. And it will save me 50 or 60 bucks for the kit. Have a great day Mimmi 😊

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Ahh gotcha, thank you for the info Mimmi. That makes sense, as if they are solid, they would need the extra hose to get both pistons to work and brake properly. Have a great day :D
Not quite; the crossovers are in the calipers themselves.

But in the floating calipers, the brake lines go back to the fender area, and then you have a hose to the caliper, because the caliper moves around as it operates, in addition to moving around as the suspension deflects..

I'm not familiar with the 9-5 fixed-caliper arrangement, but on the NG900/OG9-3, the flexible line was a lot shorter and connected to another hard line on the axle that ran into the caliper.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Old 9-5 rear brakes are same as ng900/og9-3.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I did more “digging”. I found the other two brake lines. Thank you everyone for the help it’s appreciated. Just got the stainless line kit today, a few more things to wait for and I can finally change these tired brakes . She’ll stop on a dime then ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts