SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had great fun removing the headliner from the four door car, according to Bently manual you have to take it out through rear window. Suggestions here that it might go out to front door, I rather fancied it would go out of the rear door..But I wasn't brave enough to bend it.
The answer is through the boot:-

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
But to make room

You have to remove one of the rear seat belt reel assemblies to make enough space to take it diagonally through the seat back space. Not too clear in photo, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Thanks alot, this will come in handy. I think I've read on this forum that someone broke their headliner in half removing it through the boot, but they repaired it or something.

·
Registered
65 Posts
They come out through the trunk just fine w/o removing anything (except all the accumulated junk in the trunk). The speaker is what I ususally get a little snagged on. A second person is very helpful for a few moments w/sunroof cars as the headliner is very fragile in that region.

Saab, Bentley and everyone else should be kicked in the *** for publishing the procedures they did.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Matthew,
I used the spray adhesive and headliner kit that 'parts for Saabs' sell. As I did it on 'hottest day since records began' in Anglesey, I assume it's heat proof.
I notice that Elkparts no longer sell the self adhesive material.
Fred

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Fred, are you going to try getting it back in through the door to see if you can prove/disprove that theory? :D :D

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alex,
Good thought, but funnily enough I put it back in through the boot.
Getting it out, I had all the seats out, but no joy. I measured the longest diagonals on the doors, you'd have to bend it on a four door. Widest part of liner is over the C pillars, whence that's free you're away.
Fred

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I've still got this job to look forward to on my 99. With the boot lip being a bit higher I'm not too sure it will come out through the boot though :roll:

I've got a scan of a Saab service bulletin somewhere that dougsaab posted showing how to remove it through the front door. Seems to involve a lot of jiggling about!

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Fred said:
The answer is through the boot
He's right! I removed my 2dr's headliner this evening ready for restoration. However, I think the 2dr's seatbelt reel is in a different place to the 4dr, and not easily removable.

Removal of the headliner was okay, but very tight initially when drawing it through the boot. I'll have to remove some stuff when I put it back, otherwise the new 'liner will be damaged.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
<hijack>
Mmm this old foam's a bit difficult to remove isn't it? I'm using a small wire brush to scratch it off the headliner. Anyone got any tips?

Also: the foam is greasy (previous owner's scalp excretions yuck) and this has soaked into the liner itself (double yuck). How on Earth will the spray adhesive stick?
</hijack>

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Is there a difference between the 3dr/5dr and 2dr/4dr headliners? In other words, if I found a mint headlining in a 3dr at the scrapyard, would I be able to fit it into my 4dr?

I suspect not, due to parcel-shelf design and angle of the rear window, but need confirmation :)

EDIT: Taking my own advice and searching the forums, I found this post, which suggests that the 2dr/3dr 'liners are not the same:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=53355#53355

Any ideas?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Foam under headliner on four door turbo?

I have an '89 four door 900T sedan with a sunroof. I'd like to refit the headliner myself (A "pro" quoted me at $600!), but I'm worried once I remove the old headliner, the old foam underneath will disentegrate. Can you buy old foam to put underneath the new headliner material? Do you need it? Any and all tips on sedan/saloon headliner replacement would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
The headliner cloth comes with the foam attached to the face cloth. They have different thickness of foam and 1/8" is usually the normal replacement thickness. The last successful headliner replacement I did the removal and prep of headliner shell. The pro shop did the application of the cloth with the right type of adhesive that can handle the heat. I reinstalled and trimmed out the sunroof opening last. I also did the sail panels at the same time.
I removed the back parcel shelf to make taking the liner out the trunk easier. While I had it out I recovered that too with the proper " mole hair" fabric.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts