SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a pair of Kicker DS40 4" speakers in my son's stock dash locations. It was a squeeze with the slightly-raised tweeters and I had to stretch and tack-glue the old shrunken rubber gaskets around the speakers to make a good fit.
The sound is impressive, possibly a bit flat, but plenty loud.
I would recommend these speakers to anyone who wants good economy dash speakers for their 900 without the headache of modifying anything.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_206DS40/Kicker-DS40.html?tp=102

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
I've found most aftermarket speakers are better than the original ones. Just because the originals are from a different era and then only medium quality at the time. Saab did use good Philips speakers but 20 or 30 years and plenty of use wears them out and they were only medium to start with.

The biggest issue is the size. 4-inch speakers will only do so much. I had thought about increasing the size to 5-inch by shifting things around and modifying stuff.

Currently using 'Alpine' speakers in my convertible. The previous owner fitted the Alpines and one of them blew. I got some new ones for a good price and turned out to be the same kind. They're fine.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have Alpines in my vert as well... Very happy with them. Similar to the ones pictured in the link. Fit was also pretty tight for the same reason.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
The only issue I've come across is new speakers getting hot and warping the speaker grilles.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I've found most aftermarket speakers are better than the original ones. Just because the originals are from a different era and then only medium quality at the time. Saab did use good Philips speakers but 20 or 30 years and plenty of use wears them out and they were only medium to start with.

The biggest issue is the size. 4-inch speakers will only do so much. I had thought about increasing the size to 5-inch by shifting things around and modifying stuff.

Currently using 'Alpine' speakers in my convertible. The previous owner fitted the Alpines and one of them blew. I got some new ones for a good price and turned out to be the same kind. They're fine.
I've fitted 5" infinity component speaker in my dash under the grill. Pig of a job, need to remove almost all the webbing off the grill, increase the grill area, cut out bits of the dash, etc.

It was easier to surface mount but it looked wron,g to my eyes anyway.

They sound better than the sony ts110e(?) i had in there before, but is it worth all the hassle?? Not convinced, would need to try a good set of 4" or 4" component to compare.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I have a set of Alps that look very similar in the front of my vert...found them in a boneyard 900 of all places. It was like 5 minutes to change the old ones to the new ones but it's light years different in sound quality.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Kenwood makes a really good 4" speaker that I've used in C900's. KFC-E1054 is the current model of them.

Craig.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Kenwood makes a really good 4" speaker that I've used in C900's. I've used KFC-1062S but there also KFC-E1054.

Craig.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts