SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone 3D Printed a Dash Fascia?

I need one for my car. Was thinking it would be nice to remove a DIN, and add my 3 VDO Gauge holes, cell phone mount, and other mods to one that is 3D printed. Got any designs/Fusion 360 files?

I know people make custom bits for their cars/classics/project, but where?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Possible but most printers are build plate size limited Typically 230 x 230mm either build within that or multiple pieces glued together is the usual approach.
As for design ...You... will likely needs 3d scan the existing bits you want to duplicate/redesign .. then redesign them to suit.
Doable certainly..but lots easier to say than do.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed. I've 3d printed things before, just nothing that big. I had one a few years ago but it was kind of a waste, now I just outsource my prints when I need them...and they are way better.

No idea what it would cost to do something that big...maybe I'll look into it more.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Why print the entire fascia? You can buy or print an adapter that will mount three gauges nicely in a DIN bay.

thingiverse.com is probably the single largest repository for free models.

Most of the files there are STLs. I don't know if Fusion 360 can work with them, but Blender can.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had a bit of perspex spare, then bought a 52mm hole saw. No point going to all that effort for something that can be created so easily.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you have an STL file I can possibly get one printed as a complete piece of ABS. The shop has a 4ft dual-head extrusion table.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perspex is interesting... the piece has some subtle complex curves to it though. I may mess with it.

If you have an STL file I can possibly get one printed as a complete piece of ABS. The shop has a 4ft dual-head extrusion table.
Thanks, sometime soon-ish I may take detailed measurements and design one... starting to do a HG this weekend :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
Mysticle31
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing