SaabCentral Forums banner

141 - 160 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
I didn't do anything with the black cap, and its fully intact. I did however cut a small square near the cap so that the wires would be able to pass through (going to be a pain to fill if that's where the issue is).

I'll take them out and leave them in the sun tomorrow. Did you guys cut anything in the back for your wires, if so what did you repair it with?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
i slotted the inner lip of the black cap, and it screws on just like stock. ive removed my lenses countless times, and keep reusing the gasket and have had zero condensation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Jakejm- The headlights are sealed with a gasket to prevent water from getting into the headlight and to protect the lamp itself from water.

All headlights have to be vented because the vents allow the headlights to be as close to the outside air temp as possible. Without them the temp difference would be huge.

If you are having condensation issue your headlights could be too air tight and one of the factory vents are blocked.

Here is a article i found

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?7022-HID-Headlight-Housings-Airtight-or-Venting

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have never seen a vent in our headlights. I have either modified or swapped atleast 4 different sets of housings and do not recall seeing any vents. Condensation is a result of humidity and temperature being at the right amounts. Morning dew is the result of the temperature dropping with a given percentage of humidity. The condensation will occur if either the air is very cold and has a high enough humidtiy and interacts with a relatively cold object whether that be a solid object or another mass of air, ie fog, or if the air is hot and humid and interacts with a relatively cold object, ie cold glass on a hot humid day or your breathing fogging up a cold window or the air outside. For the headlights the main reason for condensation will likely be a result of humid air is inside the housing and the lights are heating the inside of the lens causing the temperature gradation and condensation. I have giant vents, or really holes, in my housings and I will always get condensation during a rain storm and a humid snow storm when driving with headlights on. These vents are on the bottom so no way for water so somehow be spraying the lens.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
just a word of caution. when i set this all up way back when using the harness from retrofit source, the eyelet for the positive battery terminal was small and i had to drill it out a tad. today while throwing a new battery in the car, i snapped it in half/ripped it off the wire very easily. it appears it was not soldered when it came from RTS, but i may be wrong.

so...in an emergency, since im leaving on a ski trip tonight, i grabbed a 5/16's crimp on eyelet from autozone. eyelet fits the terminal screw MUCH better. i dont promote use of crimp on crap but i had to in this case until i have time to properly solder it on.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Awesome job people

These look incredible guys - excellent. The stock headlamps on the 900/9-3 are just crap IMO.

I used to want to have something like this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I never found out how to do them or pursue it further but now I wouldn't even mind having them look like saabkid's because that looks incredible and I could probably see at night.... too bad $ going into other stuff right now.

·
Registered
185 Posts
These look incredible guys - excellent. The stock headlamps on the 900/9-3 are just crap IMO.

I used to want to have something like this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I never found out how to do them or pursue it further but now I wouldn't even mind having them look like saabkid's because that looks incredible and I could probably see at night.... too bad $ going into other stuff right now.
That is trexturk's old car and IIRC, they were custom made. He fitted some FX35 or something like that :suprised;

EDIT; It was something like Civic XD http://www.saablink.net/forum/tsl-members-saab-pics/3956-2.htm

·
Registered
280 Posts
I really need to do this - my 99 9-3 headlamps are *crap*!

The chrome reflector isn't even chrome anymore........... Does somebody do this mod for a living? They should!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just picked up a '97 900 S, I agree the stock headlights suck. I'm gonna miss the ones in my Silverado, beast of any vehicle I've had.

Whats the approximate cost of this mod?

141 - 160 of 196 Posts