SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
WIP. Got the parts though:

The 45* bends aren't exactly the same, one is much thinner and flimsier than the other. If this car was going to be seeing lots of boost, I would be calling Silicon Intakes and exchanging it for a new one, but since it'll never see more than stock boost, I don't think it'll be an issue with the suction from the GT17 collapsing the hoses. Having said that, I'm a bit unimpressed with the quality control given that one was very solid and one was very flimsy, especially given that they're supposed to be the exact same part.

I forgot I had ordered the blue vac line and already redid the vac lines in red. Oh well. I'm sure I'll use that hose for something. I'll try if I can test fit the parts tonight or tomorrow and might swing by the local auto parts store and pick up a suitable filter.

·
Registered
927 Posts
thats what I was just looking at ordering was HPS silicone tubing for all the intake in the engine bay. Its only $110 for a 3 foot length and imo thats not bad for something thats not gonna flex under heavy load or cause any heat soak.

Unfortunately they dont sell the silicone hose kit for the v6er out there

·
Registered
386 Posts
thats what I was just looking at ordering was HPS silicone tubing for all the intake in the engine bay. Its only $110 for a 3 foot length and imo thats not bad for something thats not gonna flex under heavy load or cause any heat soak.

Unfortunately they dont sell the silicone hose kit for the v6er out there
Well the tubing past the turbo is fine as its under pressure, and thus any old reinforced silicon will work just fine. Pre-turbo, the hoses can collapse under high boost, causing boost issues and power cuts. Its not something I've heard of much for Saabs, as most people either throw a filter on the end of the MAF or keep the stock rubber intake hoses.

Mind copying a link for the tubing you're talking about? I found a cracks in the IC->intake pipe hose and might be replacing it.

·
Registered
927 Posts
also im gonna shorten up the rubber hose connecting my MAF to the downpipe, that way it gives me more room for a larger filter

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm guessing the likelihood of finding that stuff for the V6 engine is next to nil.
You'll probably have to measure and do some mockups and build one from hose components.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Lot of engine heat being sucked in there I'd assume. ;)
Could be worse. The typical "CAI" on an Audi 1.8t/2.0t engine sits directly over the Cat AND the Turbo. We call them Hot Air Intakes, haha.

Just so you know what you;re looking at, the cat is just aft of the oxygen sensor (that would be towards the firewall since its a longitudinal engine) and just fore (down in the picture) of that is the turbo. Literally DIRECTLY above both of these is this pathetic excuse for a CAI. Haha.

This one is a bit better:

But the turbo still cooks the metal intake pipe. I swear some people don't understand what hot and cold mean.

At least Saab's turbo and cat are FAR away from the intake.

·
Registered
927 Posts
ya i would imagine some engine heat.

I made a little air dam that pulls air up from where our stock air box and filter was so that it gets cold air from under the car.

that way i dont have to worry about any possible water issues like some ive seen with the filter at the bottom of the bumper... cant drive through any decent sized puddles without worry about hydrolocking, and me living in Washington, with the rain we get im not taking that chance

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
ya i would imagine some engine heat.

I made a little air dam that pulls air up from where our stock air box and filter was so that it gets cold air from under the car.

that way i dont have to worry about any possible water issues like some ive seen with the filter at the bottom of the bumper... cant drive through any decent sized puddles without worry about hydrolocking, and me living in Washington, with the rain we get im not taking that chance
I run the GS open air filter and I basically cut the stock airbox in half and kept it in place - it acts as a water shield for the most part (anything that would get past it would be a serious puddle, and would mean that I am not driving correctly). Only trouble I have from puddles is sometimes it gets my fog light wet on the passenger side and the bulb blows.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey guys. I just picked up an 02 9-5 Aero Wagon last week. I am a former owner of a '98 Nissan 200SX Se-R and '06 Sentra Spec V.

I am looking to do a custom CAI on my SAAB. I picked up a 3" Spectre Air Filter yesterday. $20

21 - 33 of 33 Posts